Shearwater double questions

I am puzzled by a few things concerning the new shearwater double.

1) It is shorter, narrower, and has larger cockpit openings than the Chessie double but it is listed as being heavier- Is that correct?

2) The cockpit opening is listed as 35x18 vrs 31x17 for the Chessie double yet the round "speedometer" shows that it has a less cockpit room. Is that maybe due to the heigth or is something wrong?

3) I am suprised by the price difference between these two modles, why is that?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shearwater double questions

Ralph,

For #3, I'm guessing is that it's because the Chessie is an old CLC design which has had its development costs amortized long ago, while the SW is a new Schade design which is still paying off its development costs to both CLC and Schade.

Laszlo

RE: Shearwater double questions

Thanks for the note. 

>>>> 1) It is shorter, narrower, and has larger cockpit openings than the Chessie double but it is listed as being heavier- Is that correct?>>>>>>>

Multi-chined boats have more fiberglass, and the Shearwater Double has lots of fiberglass.  Sapele decks, big cockpits and three flush hatches don't weigh nothing---clearly more.  Length isn't size, and I'm willing to guess that almost all kayak doubles are going to hover in the 65-75 pound range.  (Viz the Mill Creek 16.5, shorter and with a yet-bigger cockpit opening, at 65 pounds.)

>>>>>>2) The cockpit opening is listed as 35x18 vrs 31x17 for the Chessie double yet the round "speedometer" shows that it has a less cockpit room. Is that maybe due to the heigth or is something wrong?>>>>>

I have to study that metric.  I don't think it's telling the full story.  When you sit in the Chesapeake Double, and then in the Shearwater Double, the Shearwater's cockpits feel bigger.  Measured by cubic volume, the Chesapeake Double's cockpits are bigger, but that really isn't the metric you feel. 

>>>>3) I am suprised by the price difference between these two modles, why is that? >>>>>>

No, it doesn't have anything to do with amortization.  We sell the kits as cheaply as we can consistent with staying in business.  The Shearwater Double has a sapele deck (three times the cost of an okoume deck) and three flush hatches (lots more structure).  It's a multi-chine boat, so there are a lot more parts for us to cut.  On the CNC machine we cut puzzle joints and drill all of the stitch holes, so it takes about four times longer to cut. 
We'll be adding more photos and detail to the Shearwater Double's webpage in days and weeks to come.  Neat boat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.