Wood Duck 12 with Mirage drive

Got the plans, got the wood, got the epoxy, got the fiberglass, got the Mirage drive. 

Cover me Laszlo, I'm going in! :-D

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck 12 with Mirage drive

Dan,

Gotcha buddy. In fact, if you take a boatload of pictures as you go, as well as lots of notes of things like dimensions, difficulties encountered, solutions found, etc., I will work with you to put together a webpage that I would be honored to host as a guest builder page on my Building a Wood Duck 12 website, if you're interested in doing that.

Laszlo

Sounds good to me. This will be my third time putting a Mirage drive into a kayak, but my first Wood Duck build. I suspect my biggest challange will be cutting the top to make room for the pedals (and my feet) without ruining the looks. Hopefully I can just extend the front of the opening and it will still look good.

Just discovered that a mirage drive can be built into one of these Kayaks (amazing!) and have built two CLC Hybrid Ducks enhtusiatically awaiting this possibility.   Is it possible to learn more, perhaps see any photos?

Thanks so much,

Spark

The nearly 4 year gap with no replies makes me pessimistic about his results.

Laszlo

The Wood Duck 12 with a Mirage drive project was abandoned when it became clear that the amount I would need to cut out of the deck to make it work would have made the boat resemble a canoe. I switched to a Wood Duck 14 and that worked great.

Here is a link to the post I made about it (I don't think the pictures work anymore)

https://www.clcboats.com/modules/forum/thread.php?quickname=5/thread&id=30159

Thanks so much for your prompt response.  We've been simulating lots of measurements here, as Ann's and my Kayak are already built and are both the 12 foot Hybrid model.  Perhaps we are too optimistic (or it is just too long and cold a winter..) that our heights might allow it (5-3" and 5-1").  Thannsk for your posting on the 14 foot model.   I was unable to recover any photos, but if there are any posted photos of your 14 foot Hybrid elsewhere, it would great to see it.  We have about three months before the winter clears, to work through our options.

thanks,

Spark

I see it now, the 14 is not expanded in a linear fashion; the 14 having a cockpit significantly larger in ratio than the 12 and therefore far more adapable to a Mirage Drive. 

We'll have to wait to add a 14 footer to our Hybrid collection.

Many thanks for the help,

Ken

Has anyone looked at incorporating a mirage drive into a Sea Island Sport? The end result would seem to be very close to a Hobie Revolution 16.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.