Opinions on Paint Color

Hello,

I am tackling a Dory build as a novice builder and having great fun, so far. It's far in the future, however I am beginning to think about hull colors. Any thoughts on colors that might be "forgiving" for the first time builder.

Thanks !

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Opinions on Paint Color

Any paint color should work as long as the paint is opaque.

Unpainted boats show off the quality of the wood and its grain and color.

Dark colors would hide problems with the build better than lighter colors.  That being said, I chose an off white for my dory and accepted the challenge of trying to keep her lines clean.  

I also read that the white colors show the shadow of the lapstrake and thus offer a pleasing look versus a dark color that would blend all the lines in.

Whatever color you choose is perfectly okay.  You are the builder.  I chose off white and kept the interior natural. 

Paint places additional emphasis on underlying shape. Wood grain masks the underlying unfairness. Dark colors require much more care in fairing the underlying surface, except (only) the plank shadows if applicable. Paint offers the opportunity to use epoxy fillers rather than just building up layers of straight epoxy. Using a less-glossy paint is also much more forgiving.

I second what Tim B said above. a light color really makes the lapstrakes stand out and you can tell from a distance that it is a wooden boat. Black is stunning but it does hide that feature somewhat.

Light colors though do show all the imprefections in the finish much more. Must sand sand sand. and I didnt know about the fillers until after I painted, but had I known I would have used them. go to a hardware store near a marina where they sell interlux paint and I bet you will find interlux filler compounds too. as a first timer it wasnt clear to me just how much the primer would cover imperfactions. it does cover the very little stuff, but if you can feel an "orange peel" sort of finish, you need to keep sanding or use a filler and then sand it smooth. the primer wont correct that. Basically sand until there are no differentiated areas where you have raised areas that get really white when sanded. Sand until it is uniformly white when sanded.

I did bright interior on my Dory and Hatteras off white on the outside side panels, with a Flag blue on the bottom. the two tone is nice but the boats I have seen in one color are just as nice. up to you. lots of shots on line of various Dorys to give you ideas.

David

Please consider the issue of the solar heat.  Epoxy, as wonderful as it is, loses strength when heated.  Ultimately, it can soften under the summer sun.  Dark colors absorb more heat than light colors.  Horizontal surfaces exposed to full sunlight will fare better if painted in light colors.

Here's what I did...the red is bottom paint.  One thing to consider is that when (not if) you ding the boat, it is easier to tell if it went through the epoxy or not on a painted surface.  I used CLC's non skid floor panels too, gray in color, they are great and the painted inside makes those panels stand out nicely.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/w4UhycQ1iZKdFSceecpvYTFolq1y-t7pqfyiNmzJPv8?feat=directlink

I forgot to add...the paint is Interlux Brightide Hatteras Off White from CLC, the varnish is Interlux Schooner from CLC, and the red bottom paint is Pettit Vivid.  Under the off white paint is Interlux Pre-Kote primer, 2 coats,...great stuff to hide imperfections in the epoxy!!   

Thanks all ! appreciate your advice.

I built my skerry when the kit first came out.  I went with an off-white exterior and a varnished interior.  Absolutely love the look and receive compliments every time I went out.  It just had that classic boat look that everyone is drawn to.

Now the warning.  If you varnish, be prepared to deal with scraping varnish when it comes time to refinish (and that time will come).  Absolute pain in the butt.  The paint just flakes off with sanding, but the varnish requires hours of scraping, sanding, repeating.  And if your intent is to revarnish, it will take even longer to get it perfect.  I have decided to paint the inside... once I finally finish scraping. 

Steven

http://www.skerrybuild.com

Har! In the tradition of the High Seas! The hull should be covered in pitch and coal tar, the decks swabbed with the blood of pirates !!  

The outside hull of my Boat 01 was painted with Interlux flag blue (quite dark). Won't do that again. Stored upside down on a floating dock, that boat got very, very hot. It could be hard to even hold the boat to flip it over. (I sometimes wondered about putting a boat that hot right into the water.) The inside went better. I think that painting the seats white was an accidental good choice.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.