Brand name of a good detail sander

I'm building a Peeler Skiff and need to buy a good detail sander. The interior has many tight areas where the orbital sander won't reach.What is a good brand and model?

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Brand name of a good detail sander

The answer depends a great deal on how much you want to spend and how much area you want to cover (so whether durability and comfort of use is important)

the one with which all other compare is the Fein Multimaster, it is also the most expensive by a good deal. I have one and it is a very good instrument. It is solid as a rock, has a good work=feel, doesnt vibrate the hell out of my hand (I suspect this is one of the main poinst of difference between different brands) I cant say much about the comeptitors but if you go onto web pages like home depot you will find lots of reviews of them.

I found, by the way, that when I did my Dory (also a lot of tight areas inside)  I thought I would use the multimaster more than I ended up. For the most part I tackled those hard to reach areas by hand sanding. I found that a power tool in such a tight place (even a very good one) was apt to do more harm than good. Maybe I could get really good at it, but except for a few times, elbow grease, and not the Fein, did most of the work.

David

I would expect a Bosch RO delta detail sander would do the job.

There is also the Festool RO 90 DX or the DX 93 both are best with a Festool dust extracor. The RO 90 can be a disk sander/polisher or delta detail sander. They are not cheap and can stand up to production processes.

if you use spray adhesive on the back of  a sheet of sand paper , fold it in half  and cut sections out to use by hand you'll be ammazed at how quickly it cuts

I have a Fein and have used a couple of similar multitools from other makers. I don't think it's worth the premium if this is your only intended use, but I use mine all the time around the shop and house and it is a real pleasure. One of those tools where I didn't realize how often it'd come in handy until I had it. The tool excels in all sorts of awkward in situ cutting and sanding tasks where it's superior power and precision is greatly appreciated.

Good luck,

Patrick

I just finished building a Peeler Skiff and have nothing but praise for the Festool DTS 400 EQ Orbital Sander as a finish sander.  Coupled with their MiniVac and their Random Orbital Sander I was able to work in a virtually dust-free environment.  They are a bit pricey but worth every penny.

If you are going to add a dust extractor, vacum, make sure the suction is adjustible because most Shop Vac have enough suction to pull the sander into the finish hard enough to strip it.

For finish sanding with a ramdom orfbital sander you want the sander to do the work so do not press down on the sander and use the least amount of vacum to remove the dust.

Also wipe down the surface of the boat with change of grit. If you leave any dust or grit material behind it could re-sand the finish and leabe a visible mark.

I have nothing but good things to say about my Porter Cable hooked up to a dust collection system

http://www.portercable.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=24408  

Steven David Roberts

http://www.skerrybuild.com

Before you settle on the highest price sander, I'd seriously suggest you take a good hard look at the lowest price, at Harbor Freight. I've not tried their detail sanders, but I have used their random orbital disk sanders and their one-third sheet random orbital sanders, and honestly can say they are the best I have ever used! MUCH better than the similar Craftsman tools from Sears, and much less expensive. Admittedly, I have not sprung for Festool and I don't think I could justify the cost. Really, though, at least take a look at Harbor Freight. 

The Festool sanders offer sanding grits to 8,000 and polish to 11000. Also the life of the sand paper on the sander is longer than other brands, the dust extraction leaves very little to cleanup so the totlal cost of usng the sander over the life of the sander is less than other brands. The many of the sanders also work as polishers. They also offer different sanding papers for raw unpainted wood and for finished wood as well as metal and plastic.

Also if one were to look at the RO 90 it has the ability to work as a Rotex sander and remove material quickly or a random orbital sancer for a finer finish and it also has a switchable sanding pad to go from round to delta shape. So one does not have just one sander but a sander that can work like 3 different sanders as well as a polisher. You may also be buying a tool for life.

George Kaiser's take is right on the money.  During my recently completed building project, I bought many items from Harbor Freight, but I chose Festool sanders and dust extractor.  I made that choice after talking to as many boatbuilders as I could.  They had many different recommendations, but one common theme: "Don't buy cheap power tools---you'll pay for it later!".

By the way, my Peeler Skiff is everything I had hoped it would be.  It's a lot of enjoyment for the money and I get complements from everyone who sees it.

Any boat takes some maintenance of the surface so one will always need a goo sander. Festools are not cheaps but they do have reconditioned tool sales with a 20% - 30% off reconditioned tools.

Good luck with your boat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.