Laquer thinner for wipedown?

Hi!

I'm just getting the final coat of PreKote put down on my Eastport Pram and it's looking pretty good so far. I live quite remotely and don't have any 333 on hand and don't really feel like making the drive to town to pick some up....if they even have any...lol

Up til now I have been wiping down between PreKote layers with Lacquer thinner with no apparent problems. I'm not planning on thinning the Brightside as it's not all that hot just using the Laquer Thinner for wipedown.

Can I safely continue with this product and process with the brightside layers or should I switch to 333? 

I appreciate any wisdom

Ramone

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Laquer thinner for wipedown?

Lacquer thinner is a really strong solvent, which is great when you're dealing with hard epoxy surfaces and nasty contaminates like the dreaded "amine blush."  But I've seen lacquer thinner literally strip off primer, paint, and varnish if applied generously! So I'd warn you off using lacquer thinner between coats of paint or primer, unless your rag is only lightly dampened with it.

What we use here at CLC for wipe-downs between coats of paint or varnish is denatured alcohol.  

In the 2001 kayak-building video, which has been viewed 1.3 tera-billion times, I face the camera and state confidently that builders should use lacquer thinner as a wipe-down.  In 2001, epoxies with amine blush issues were still in very wide use, and people had a terrible time getting varnish to stick to their boats.  Lacquer thinner was a reliable antidote.  But in 2014, we don't get more than a call or two a month about it.  That, and the video's advice to "mix epoxy 45 seconds for every pump," I wish I could get back...

(The latter is correct for small batches of epoxy.  But for larger batches, just mix for three minutes before adding fillers.)

RE: Laquer thinner for wipedown?

Thanks, John!

I ended up making the trek to town and getting 333. I thought why jeopardize the job and go looking for trouble because of my laziness....lol

Because I live in Canada and have a gov't that really cares about my/our health and safety (Grrrrrr!!!!!) Denatured alcohol is not an option for us.

I hear you on your comment re things we have written and said in the past....but look on the bright side( no pun intended)... not as bad as some people getting tattoos then regretting it when they get older.....a tattoo of a dolphin can sometimes turn into a humpback whale with the passage of time!!....:).. ..or a belly button piercing turning into a piece of jewellry in the middle of the neck with too much plastic surgery...lol

Have a great day and thanks again!

Ramone

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.