Passagemaker (PMD) transport

Any recommendations on transporting PMD on something less than TrailerX trailer.  PMD fits into bed of truck and already have aluminum ramps.  Would prefer transporting in back of truck to trailering.

I've tried a couple of DIY dollies (one use 1 1/2" PVC and one using 2x4s) but centering on dolly and holding down seem to often fail.

TrailerX has a dolly.  Anyone have experience using it with PMD or silimar boat.

Al 

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Passagemaker (PMD) transport

I got a foldable 4 x 8 ft. utility trailer from Harbor Freight and put a half inch plywood painted floor on it.

Then I mounted two 6 x 6 8 inch treated lumber blocks, cut to fit the bevelled underside of the bow.

I covered the bearing surfaces of these blocks and the floor area where the boat contacts the platform with 1/2 foam cut from a sleeping bag ground pad.

I cut two smaller blocks, 4x4" treated, to support it under the stern. These were also cut to match the shape of the hull where it sits on them. I put bolts in the bottom of these blocks and cut the heads off and mounted the blocks ( also padded) in holes drilled in the right spots on the platform, so I can remove them before I slide the boat off into the water. I have a slot to hold the skeg (also padded) at the rear end and some bed frame rollers mounted at the extreme back end of the trailer so I can roll the boat easily on and off the trailer, into and out of the water. I don't back the trailer in as far as the wheel hubs but I installed bearing buddies to protect the axle and bearings, just in case.

I put eye bolts in the sides of the trailer framefore, aft and center, and I tie the boat to it. Total cost was under $300. It's 3 years old and has about 6000 miles on it. Works just fine and the boat has no wear marks on the hull from this arrangement. I keep the whole mess in a covered shed. Without that it would be rusted and rotted, surely.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.