Coating Panels with Epoxy Before Assembly? Boat Cradle

Good Evening !

My lovely bride and I built a NE Dory a few yeara ago at the Wooden Boat school for our 30th anniversary so we'r epretty familiar with constrution and finishin CLC kits.  We just received a "Boat Cradle" kit that we're building for our first grandchild.

We plan to coat all the pieces with several coats of epoxy before we begin the assembly.  Obviously we'll have to drill out all the wire holes but this should make sanding the panles much easier.  They'll be flat!!  Final finishing will follow once the boat is glued up.

Can you think of any reason this apparoch might present unforseen problems?  Would the side panels be too stiff the bend?

Don and Terri Pippins 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Coating Panels with Epoxy Before Assembly? Boat Cradle

i don't think that pre-coating will make it too stiff or create any particular problem.

will it save you a lot of time? 

i think that depends on how cleanly you glue up the panels.  you may want to make judicious use of blue tape during that phase to keep the glue/fillets only where you need them to be.

it usually the drips and runs that eat up sanding time.

Howard

Hi Howard!

Thanks for the sugestions.  There are many nooks and crannies that are difficult to reach except by hand.. and the concave shape of the inside of the panels makes the use of a RO palm sander troublesome.  

Our real concern was the stiffness of the side panles after a couple of coat of epoxy!

Thanks again

just a quick note that the real rigity would come with glassing each side....and creating a true composite.  the glass has relatively little stretch which is why it makes a great skin when bonded to both side of an okoume (or cedar strip) core.

that said, don't wait weeks before assembling after coating each side.  i would coat....sand and assemble in a couple days.  the epoxy stays relatively flexible but even it gets hard and potentially stiff/brittle after a couple weeks.

howard

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.