Shearwater Sport vs Petrel Play plus various ignorances

My wife and I are new to kayaks. She is 130lbs, I am 160. We recently borrowed a pair of Venture Easky 15s which we had a lot of fun in. We will never (never say never?) tour, but do want both the agility to navigate ponds and rivers, and something that is not taxing in traversing a larger lake -- maybe even venture into the great lakes on calm days. 

To this end I have found the Petrel Play and the Shearwater Sport, which to my uninformed eye seem to be in the correct ballpark. But that is just a guess. I'd love to hear what the more experienced folk have to say.

On to a few specifics-- the Shearwater Sport comes in three versions -- are all three contained in the plans (I don't want to build from kit) or are the plans for the versions separate. 

Much thanks in advance!

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shearwater Sport vs Petrel Play plus various ignorances

Petrel Play is probably not an option unless you have a built something before and/or have some fiberglass experience.  I just completed construction (ready to sand/varnish) and I agree with CLC's recomendation that a PP not be your first build.  This is my third build and glassing the deck was tricky.  Also, the PP is only available as a kit, not plans only.

I have never paddled a Shearwater Sport but I am sure that it is a great boat.  That being said, oneof he great things about CLC boats is that you do not have to choose "one size fits all."  My wife and I are very close to the same size as you two are and we went with matching Chesapeake 16LT & 17LT.  I could also see matching Shearwater 14 & 16 as an option.

Can you get to one of CLC's demo's? - I paddled all thier Kayaks before deciding to biuld a Shearwater 17.    I was leaning towards a SG night heron, but decided the boat was a little tender for me. Nick Schade was even at the demo. I paddled a Shearwater sport too and that was a nice boat also. The petrel play was not real then, but looks like a great boat.

The Petrel Play plans are available at the designer's web site. 

Regarding building experience and fiberglass. I'm assuming by "building experience" you mean the fiberglass part of it. The rest is woodworking, which I have moderate+ experience -- a year working building trade show exhibits, and a few years of hobby woodworking in my basement shop. 

As far as fiberglass-specific experience, I've a little. back in the dark ages (late 70s) I did a few auto mods using fiberglass -- mating flare wheel wells, changing the contour of an pre-made accent piece -- but nothing that "showed" because all sins could be filled and painted. 

I have to be honest that I'm a little puzzled by the "don't build this first". I would assume (which doesn't make me right!) that glassing the hull first would give a measure of prior experience. But perhaps not enough. Just thinking out loud here. 

As an aside -- I'm not horribly worried about making the wrong boat, at least not the wrong stitch and glue as they would make great pass-down-to-the-kids gifts. 

A strip built on the other hand -- I don't think I could part with it. After all that work I might specify it to be used as my casket when I'm gone. 

Mark, is the Play done? How does it compare to your lovely Chesapeaks? 

Thanks all for your comments. 

PS: At the moment I'm leaning toward the Shearwater Sport, but like a new kayaker, the direction I am leaning will vary from one moment to the next. 

it sounds like compared to a lot of folks who start this, you have lots of excellent experience.

when i started building i did as well...i had done a lot of woodworkng and fibreglass work before becoming interested in kayakng.  in addition to wood-working and glassing skills, however, i think one of the other skills is to be able to visualize and know what looks right/is right and the types of issues to anticipate/plan for that occur in kayak building.

the 'first builder' boats are relatively simple shapes and minimal complexity to get lost in...messed up.  its not really a woodworking or glassing kind of thing.   fwiw, this is getting much easier to acquire with all the video and pictures people post that really help one 'see' where they are trying to get.  also as a plan-builder, you have lots of time to do little experiments to sort stuff out with scrap wood, and cut yourself a new part if you are not satisfied.

that said, i am continually impressed with the talents of peope who start these endeavors and folks who have little kayak building experience taking on complex projects that come out fantastically.  my sense is that the successful ones are patient and good reasearchers of what they are doing or anticipating doing.

the forums, both this and the guillemot kayak forum as well as some other sites are wonderful resources to get you through the process. my view on picking is start with the basics of 1) what 'fits', 2) how you expect to use it,  and 3) then pick the prettiest/most appealing design to you that meets the first two criteria.   If that leads you to something that is for a person with 'more experience' don't sweat it too much if you are confident and patient.

h

Building a PP as a first build is certainly doable.  Building it so that it looks good enough to varnish is significantly harder.  As hspira said, it is really about shape.  The deck on a Chesapeake has three pieces of wood that form a simple bowed shape that is easy to glass.  The deck on my PP has recessed hatches and cockpit (21 pieces of wood) which present numerous opurtunities for a cosmetic blunder.

Assembly of the hatch covers and installation into the deck would also be a little difficult for someone without stitch and glue experience.  Those pieces of wood are under considerable stress and tricky to get together.

If you are building from plans and are not set on the recessed rubber hatches, you could greatly simplify the boat by going with flush hatches instead.  There would be fewer parts to build, and both assembly and glassing would be much easier.  Frankly, the boat would probably look better too.

I still have to sand and varnish my PP, so I have not had it in the water yet.  Maybe another 10 days dependingon work.  If you want to see some construction pictures, go to: https://plus.google.com/photos/108197909267609876091/albums/6016182752308555809

They say (you know who they are) that the Shearwater Sport is likely the most versatile kayak, at least certainly in the CLC fleet. I can totally agree. I was fortunate enough to attend a CLC demo a few months ago and paddled a Chesapeake, and Petral, a Night Heron, and a Shearwater 17. I have had a Shearwater Sport for 10 months now and love it....loved the build and I love the result, in any condition I've had her in. 

I also know that when I get down to kayak camping, the boat will be more than capable, no matter how long a trip I intend on taking. It's a stable boat...nimble...not overly fast, but it cruises quite well and true. 

So....I can't say enough good about the Shearwater Sport...truly an amazing boat...and yet I can see myself building a Night Heron in the near future. Completely different animal, though...I'd make sure I install a skeg in such a boat, whereas I don't ever feel the need for one in my Shearwater Sport.

Good luck with your decision! 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.