hybrid fitting

Hi All  I'm building a shearwater 17 hybrid and am having a problim fitting cut sections. My question, is there some kind of indicater you can put on the end of slat your trying to fit to show high spots?  Thankyou

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: hybrid fitting

I am not sure what you are asking.

Are you in stalling your temp form or stripes ?

Hi W5 , I didn't make myself very clear . Am fitting stripes at both ends and can't get real close fit where the stripe goes into a V. If I were working with steel I'd use blueing as an indicater to mark high spots but don't know what to use on wood so that it will not affect the finish. Thanks again

I'm still not sure I understand your question, particularly your reference to marking "high spots", "high" in which dimension? As for fitting strips into acute 'V' ends, I mostly used the technique outlined here: http://oneoceankayaks.com/Wshophtm/Shop6b.htm starting from the 4th picture down. Difficult strips to cut involving fitting "V"s at both ends simultaneously started, with fitting the second set of two long strips that I ran along the sheer. I glued up one side first, cutting the other side sheer strips so that they were exactly the right length to join neatly to the first set of strips at the bow and stern simultaneously was a little tricky. Is this the sort of problem you are referring to? Cutting some of the very last odd strips that need to fit at both ends into acute "V"s is similarly tricky. I just cut the strip to length first, being sure to cut length right on, or slightly long. Then cut the pointy ends on both sides using the technique outlined in the link above, and using a very sharp, low angle block plane for rounding over a bead and for detailed shaping of the ends. I tried to use a pencil rubbing by taping sheets of paper over the last very skinny odd strip to determine its shape, and found that useful to look at, but not so useful to use to cut because I really wanted the strip to bend a little in at least 2 dimensions when fit, and I couldn't really bend the strip exactly the way it would go on the boat when I was holding it over the rubbing to check its shape. All that said, I also just had to take two or three tries on occasion to cut some particularly complex pieces. Usually, by the second or third attempt, I would be starting to have a better vision of the shape I was trying to accomplish. Or perhaps I became more willing to relax my standards accordingly:) I didn't have to resort to this, but it may be helpful to use two strips, one on each end, then just cut a simple butt joint in the middle to join them. Note that the site linked above has quite a few other useful articles about tricks to use building with cedar strips. The builder's forum at blue heron kayaks is a great resource for cedar strip builders. And of course there are books by Nick Schade and Ted Moores that cover all this great detail.

--

Ogata (eric) 

Not sure what you mean myself but with your rference to blueing I may be able to help. i use blackboard chalk for fine fitting on timber

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.