Outdoor storage

Hi All

As much as I would like to store our Wood Duck inside, I can't. My current solution is to purchase the J-Docks and mount it outside. Are the J-Docks a quality item? My next question is covering the kayak to protect against UV. I see the covers sold by CLC but was hoping for a less costly alternative. Any thoughts? 

Thanks

Brian

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Outdoor storage

there are probably a lot of inexpensive solutions.   for example, you can easily configure something with any opaque plastic tarp.  the key things you need to do/consider:

• keep sunlight off the boat.
  • keep water out of the boat (store upside down)
  • don't allow dirt/water to sit in contact with the boat over any extended period of time.
  • don't put the boat in a non-breathable bag - where condensation could build up
  • keep animals out (a cockpit cover) or stored off the ground upside down

whatever is the simplest way to meet this criteria is good.

in one of our kayak clubs here, boats are stored upside down on racks under a simple roof (to keep the sun, snow and rain off - no walls) and boats are stored year-round.

Thanks. I have a cockpit cover already. 

Does anyone know of any UV resistant material other than plastic tarps? I am sure I will score some points if I can avoid a blue trap hanging off the side of the house

Perhaps you could build a small plywood "roof" attached to the side of the house to shelter it from the sun and rain.  or a light frame with some green or tan canvas as a cover.  

PS mine hang in a carport above the car. I can fit the imprezza under it, but not the forester. 

Ed

I have my J-Docks up. They were very easy to mount. The item description says they are well padded. I would have to disagree. Most of the plastic is very hard. Their product info says they apply extra powder coating to protect your boat. Time will tell. If padding is needed I will add pip isulation or wrap them in some sort of cloth. They seem very well made. They only include one set of straps but state that a second is recommended if you store outside. I would think a second set would be important in the garage as well. Someone is bound to bump into the boat at some point.

I am happy with the J-Docks at this point and don't see any reason I will become dissapointed. 

I am going to try and include a pic. Please excuse the plastic tub below the WD12

Hi Brian,

It looks like you're on the way to a method for storage, but in case it helps, I thought I'd still send you a link to some pictures of a dual kayak storage method I made.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/KayakRack?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Curt 817/456-2878 [email protected]   

I too have stored my WD12 outdoors - I had mold develop in the back cargo area, after cleaning that up, I made sure the hatch was always left open when storing.  AND left the cockpit cover off for the same reason.  Stored her upside down on a pair of saw horses about 2' off ground.

I saw this storage idea on woodenboat forum (although this link isn't WB, it is the same exact storage shed.)

http://www.cdhansen.com/outdoor-kayak-storage-box/

On the WB post, he showed the end door that allowed two long kayaks to be slid in.  It's locked up, out of the UV but still breathes.  You could tuck one of these up to a house I think and hardly anyone would know.

I hate the idea of storing my CLC craft outside.

I don't know what I dislike more, refinishing the boat or spiders.    

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.