Dory Tiller Extension Rub On Rail--Ideas?

I've been out to sail my new NE Dory twice now and while I'm not nearly as concerned about scratches now as I was during the build, it does concern me that the tiller extension lays on the rail in normal use and rubs/scratches both the tiller extension and the rail a lot.

Hard to see the scratches in this picture, but I hope you can see them:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pL37nhZZw5IY3jdTxrUjLTFolq1y-t7pqfyiNmzJPv8?feat=directlink

Anyone else experience this or have ideas so the stick doesnt contact the rail, or how to handle the resulting wear marks?

Curt  817/456-2878 [email protected]

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Dory Tiller Extension Rub On Rail--Ideas?

I don't think there is much you can do about the rubbing.  You could minimize it by wrapping the tiller extension in leather stitched on like it would be on a yard.

Dave

I've seen some decorative tiller coverings made from fine rope. If you check one of the rope books like The Marlinspike Sailor by Hervey Garrett Smith and look at Coachwhipping or one of the other wrappings made with fine line, it may solve your problem. The tillers I've seen are fairly round. It looks very nautical and traditional. Good luck.

curious whether you think the height of the rudder vid a vis the stern made any difference to your issue?   

���I wonder that too and will look at the vertical elevation of the tiller this weekend... I'll report back here and maybe we can compare notes on the height between the top of the tiller and top of the transom

This is the first time anyone's ever raised the issue.  In all these years of sailing the Northeaster Dory I can't recall ever noticing that the tiller extension chafes.  Certainly our (otherwise battered) 2009-era demo model bears no wear marks associated with the tiller.  The natural lead from the yoke to my hand always seems to be clear of chafing on anything.  Scrolling through photos, I can't find any examples of the tiller extension actually in contact with the rail while under way.  

By the way, I know the old-fashioned yoke-and-drag-link tiller is all-new to anyone brought up with a conventional tiller.  But I'd never revert to a conventional tiller because it severely restricts the available seating positions.  With a conventional tiller, you could never sit on the centerline of the boat, for example.  In a boat that weighs less than some dogs, the helmsman needs to be able to sit anywhere so that the boat is trimmed correctly.  Perfect example:

My weight's centered, and the boat is level.  With a conventional tiller, I'd be reaching awkwardly behind my back to operate the tiller---literally a pain in the neck.

In a bit more wind, I've moved well forward and to windward.  This would be possible with a conventional tiller and hiking stick, but the tiller would have to be very long, and thus even more awkward.  Note, no chafing of the tiller extension here.

The long push-pull tiller really allows the helmsman to sit a long way from the stern.  Probably the weight is too far forward here, but the boat is still trimmed neatly.  No chafe.

Probably just about perfect trim for a singlehander.  Again, a conventional tiller nearly half the length of the boat would make it very difficult to find a comfortable place to sit.  

John, et al
Thanks for the comments and pictures...It appears in your pictures that the tiller extension sits above the bridle.   I followed someone's advice that said to put the tiller extension under the bridle so it cant accidentally fall overboard and still have full freedom of movement without needing a safety line to possibly get in the way.

Oh and I totally agree the concept of the offset tiller extension is a good idea for many reasons...no debate there...I'm just trying to figure out why my tiller extension rubs on the rail so much.

This weekend I'll trailer-rig it with the tiller extension above the bridle and see if that is what caused the chafe, and also measure the vertical elevation between the top of the tiller and the top of the transom.

Thanks!

Curt 817/456-2878 [email protected]

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.