Keeping the Shine on the Brass

I normally paddle fresh water, but I just returned from a week of kayaking in my Chesapeake 17 on the salt marshes, creeks and rivers on the Georgia coast.  The saltwater did a number on my brass.  The brass eyepad on the bow and all of the brass screws heads holding the deck rigging is now tarnished or has nice light green color and the finish washers are all dull.  I know I can polish my brass to restore the shine.

Here is my question: Is there a preferred clear coating I can apply to prevent or limit future tarnishing and corrosion?

PS: The islands off the Georgia coast is a great paddling destination, just plan your trip with the tides in mind!  

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Keeping the Shine on the Brass

The short answer is no. Anything you put on will eventually get scratched and once that happens it will tarnish. After 42 years in the private yacht industry I can tell you you'll either keep polishing for let it tarnish.On a kayak tarnish is good. It means you're paddling instead of maintaining, SEEYA Jack   

RE: Keeping the Shine on the Brass

For navies, tarnished brass was to keep the sailors too busy to plan mutinies. For rich yacht owners it was to show the world that they didn't care about the cost of labor.

Oddly enough, polishing the patina off of a piece of antique brass reduces its value. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm with Jack - the brass on my boats gets a nice salty patina which shows the world that they're being lovingly used.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.