Skerry Spirit Rig Lazy Jacks Question

I've read through the forum looking for a few pictures of lazy jacks for my Skerry spirit rig.  I found the posts and description but the picture links seem not to be working.  Can someone help me find a good graphic for how to install lazy jacks?  Much appreciated.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry Spirit Rig Lazy Jacks Question

Rick,

Christine de Merchant may have some photos (http://www.christinedemerchant.com/skerry.html).

In any case, what I've done was attach some 1/8" line to the top of the mast, run it through the hole in the boom going on the starboard side of the sail, run it back up to the top of the mast on the port side, then back down (I pass it through the grommet on the head of the sail rather than the hole in the mast to reduce friction) along the mast to a cleat attached to the starboard side of the mast.  Pulling on this line lifts up the boom and brings boom, sprit and mast together with the sail crumpled in between. There's very little windage at that point so you've effectively furled away your sail. 

Mihai

RE: Skerry Spirit Rig Lazy Jacks Question

As much as I like the sound of "Spirit Rig," it's actually "Sprit Rig."  

Here's a typical brailing scheme for a sprit sail.  Note that the sail is being used without a boom in this diagram, which makes it possible to brail up the sail easily.  (This is exactly why, during the age of working sail, sprit and lug sails never had booms.)

There's a tradeoff in performance but for casual sailing (and quick dousing) there's something to be said for the simplicity of going boomless.  Quite a few are rigged this way.

You just need a grommet halfway up the leech of the sail.  You dead-end the brailing line at the mast head, lead it down through the grommet, then back to a block on the mast head, then down to a cleat.  Pulling on the line bundles up the sail and the sprit together.  

This is a way to stow the sail quickly for maneuvering in light to moderate conditions.  It won't work well in strong winds, as the sail won't be bundled tightly enough.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.