Epoxy Creaming

Good Day,

Can anyone tell me how to overcome the problem of clear epoxy turning into cream when i apply it with a foam roller? I have applied a second filler coat of clear epoxy using a foam roller (the same as the yellow one sugessted in the "workshop tips section"). Should i perhaps change to a fresh roller half way through the process, as it seems to be an issue only near the end of applying a coat. I did not have this problem with the 1st coat, since i have used a plastic squeegee for that.

Leon. 

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy Creaming

Leon,

I haven't seen that problem with a roller. Instead, I've seen it when I've overworked the epoxy with a squeegee. I'd say that it's probably the same problem, just caused by 2 different tool techniques.

My suggestion is to not press as hard slow down with the roller. Also try applying less epoxy at a time. If all that doesn't work, switch rollers half way through as you suggest.

Are those CLC rollers or others?

Laszlo

I had this problem 2 days ago using a 2" chip brush. I had reused a plastic mixing cup that had a bit of set up epoxy from a few days earlier and thought maybe that caused it. The other thought was I was running low in my epoxy gallon dispensing jug and poured some new epoxy in rather than switching pumps. Are either of these practices an issue?

Thanks Laszlo,

I'll try and go easy on the roller if it will help, otherwise switch to a new one and also mix smaller batches at the same time....donno??

Since this is my first exposure to working with epoxy, i was just wandering how all you guys that have build many before are doing it without turning the clear epoxy into cream. 

Klitz, if you have not had this problem using your 2" chip brush on previous occasions, then perhaps you should not use a used cup again to mix in. Or maybe you made too many stroke over the same area like i did and ended up with cream instead.....much like i pressume churning milk into butter. 

Cheers,

Leon

(New Zealand)

The "cream" may be epoxy with tiny air bubbles in it.

I recall that Nick's instructions say that when you scrape off excess epoxy on the first pass, clean off the scraper by passing it through a vertical slit in a paper cup and discard the epoxy to avoid air bubbles that gather in the epoxy.

With a foam roller on the second coat, I suspect the roller is introducing small air bubbles into the epoxy as it is rolled back and forth against the fiberglass. So one solution would be to change out rollers before the air bubbles get embedded in the roller. Another would be to use chip brushes, apply the epoxy as you do varnish, and discard the brushes if they get junked up.

Hope that helps.

another thing that can cause creaming is the epoxy is starting to kick (and gelling) and you are still trying to work it with a roller.  as the epoxy begins to thicken and you roll it....the bubbles won't work out.

be careful about the working time.  and remember that if you keep the epoxy in a cup......the part in the cup will start kicking before the stuff you already poored on the hull.

not sure if this had anything to do with it...but thought i would throw that out there as well as a thing to watch for.

regards,

howard

Excellent,

Thank you all for the replies. It is a good and very encouraging thing to know that good sound advice is always only a few keystrokes away, no mater where one in this world one is. 

I will be more carefull with the next coat.

Great forum!

Rgds,

Leon

RE: Epoxy kicking

RE: Epoxy Open time

RE: Epoxy Working time

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.