Kaholo 12"6' - sheer clamps wood twisted

Hi everyone

Maybe this is basic, but cames from a quite novice woodworker.

A couple of days ago, was about to start the build of my Kaholo, from plans, realized that the mahogany wood that i bought for the sheer clamps, was completly twisted. Wasn't when i bought it (of course)!

The same with the top 4 mm plywood sheet, was cuped.

Holding out the panic for a wihle, decided to flipped the plywood sheet and wait to see what whould happen. After 20 min. got to the same cuped form.

I atribute this to the temperature and humidity of my little attick (around 28/30 celcius and 55% humidity)

My question is: can this issues compromise the build of my Kaholo.

I think that the plywood is a bit forgiving with this, correct me if i'm wrong!

And the sheer clamps, do i ruin the side panels if i try to glued them twiested.

Can i wet them out and glue them!??

Or just try to find another place to build it?

Thank you

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kaholo 12"6' - sheer clamps wood twisted

I just finished building two Kaholos.  I had the same concern about the plywood when I brought it home, but figured it cups due the thinness of it.  I assure you, it is of no concern.  The plywood is going to be epoxied to the bulkheads, so any warp or cup is going to be taken care of during that process.

As for the sheer clamps:  I used many, many spring clamps to secure the clamp while the glue dried (probably at least 30, maybe more).  I think having 30 spring clamps is considered the minimum to have on hand if you're building any kind of strip or stitch and glue boat.  Using this many clamps should take care of any twist, just clamp as you go down the line.

Sean.

The most of my concern was really with the sheer clamps.
After all, everything resumes to "You Can Never Have too Many Clamps"

Thank you Sean

Pedro

Regarding clamps...in the instruction book you will find a tip on making your own clamps from   4 inch PVC pipe.  The tip is to cut 1.5 to 2 inch length of 4 inch PVC pipe ane then cut a slit in them to create a "spring" clamp.  They work great.  I made about 50 of them.  This type of clamps works so well that I have ended up making a varity of sizes for various jobs where I need a light weight clamps 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.