Expedition photos

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2rcrajb.jpg[/IMG]

http://i62.tinypic.com/2rcrajb.jpg

Finished my first kayak build, an Expedition Single from CLC. I wanted to add some sort of design like I've seen on other kayaks, but ended up adding my name to the deck in Morse Code....pretty geeky.   Took it out for the first time today and it was a blast.  I also included a photo of the carrier I designed and built, kayak didn't budge at 70 mph. 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Expedition photos

Nice looking boat!

JRC

The morse code idea is so cool!  I am currently starting the deck on a great auk.  I may just have to put this detail into my boat.  Thanks for the idea!

Thanks jnjclark and edbentle for your compliments.  I guess the carrier photo didn't go through, oh well. 

I didn't think I would be able to use pieces of cedar strips to make the Morse Code detail and have it look right, so I bought some light and dark veneer and cut/glued the pieces on.  Made them the width of the strip beneath the veneer.  Then I sanded them down as far as I felt I could and glassed.  On the finished boat I can't feel the raised Morse Code section. 

I'm glad you like the idea, would like to see photos of your Great Auk when you're done.

Custom Kayak Carrier Rack

Here's the link for the carrier I designed and mounted to my car's racks:  http://i62.tinypic.com/1rd9on.jpg

The parts in red are all aluminum with stainless steel threaded inserts.  The round (black) spacers are also aluminum with a clearance hole through them for a 3/8" bolt.  All the fasteners/washers, etc are stainless steel.  Bought all that stuff through McMaster Carr.  Sent my brother the drawings (he has mills and lathes and tooling to do it)  and he built it. Then I had it powder coated.  The large diameter holes in the plates allow me to thread the straps between the 2 big aluminum plates.  I put two straps in front of the coaming and two behind the coaming in case one fails.  No bumper straps needed.  Used closed-cell foam from CLC for the kayak  bottom to set on, then I just ratchet the kayak down into the foam.  I would have spent less (even with my brother doing the machining for a couple cases of beer) on a store bought carrier, but I wanted to do this.  So, for what it's worth, that's the carrier.

Nice kayak Mike! She looks like she is fast as a bullet.

Carrier looks cool. Real solid. Do you have any whistling issues with the holes in the carrier? 

Thanks Kris.  It seems to move along okay, but I'm not an experienced kayaker so I am not sure how its speed compares with other types of kayaks, wood or plastic.

I was a little concerned about whistling but it's quiet, at least as far as whistling or moaning sounds go.  I got lucky there, I wouldn't have been able to bear it on a long trip if it was noisy!   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.