Some Okoumefest pics

I managed to get my schooner Puzzled Mullet to O-fest this year. Dan Thaler provided the on-water pics.

Here the Puzzled Mullet sails into the Great Bay on the tide and is met by the natives paddling their quaint watercraft, asking for steel knives, rum and glass beads. Note that they have hidden their women.

Sunset on O-fest. Nobody on the beach except for the Watertribers.

It was good to have seen everyone again and to have met all the new CLC employees. Hope to see you all next year (someone bring some wind).

Laszlo

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Some Okoumefest pics

Looks like a really nice day, despite the lack of wind. The natives were probably disappointed in the lack of rum on board, but I have known you to carry mead. Also, there was absolutely no reason for them to "hide their women", no way you'd ever catch them with your knees!

See you and the Schooner at St. Mikes!

George K

George,

You must have me confused with someone else. I've had rum on board (along with beef jerky & stale crackers), but haven't touched mead at all since 1978, let alone had it on my boats.

As far as knees go, there would have been no catching involved, I'm spoken for. I think they were more worried about the vocabulary that might have been picked up.

See you then, if not sooner,

Laszlo

Laszlo 

Pleae tell me that is a kit and if so where can i get one? if not where can I find the plans?

Sorry, it's not a kit. It's based on Bolger's Singlehander Schooner as describd in Boats With an Open Mind (the chapter is titled His and Hers Schooners). I scaled it down to 94% so it would fit in my garage and converted it from plywood on frame to stitch and glue. I also modified it to use CLC's plywood with pre-cut finger joints. The sails were from Sail Rite. I had them take the sails for the Singlehander Schooner (which is a stock item) and scale them by 94% in all dimensions. The masts are my own carbon fiber design. All the materials except for the carbon fiber tubing and the sails came from CLC. The details are at A Single-handed Schooner in 18 Feet, A Variation on a Theme by Bolger.

If you want to build the stock boat, you can either use the plans in the book, or order a full set of plans from Harold H. Payson & Co. The plans in the book are minimal, just enough for an experienced boatbuilder, definitely not for a beginner. The plans from Payson are meant to be complete enough for beginners and are just $40.

If you want to replicate mine, buy the plans or book, read my website and dig out your calculator to scale the plans.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Roughly how much would you say it cost and how did you do the stich and glue conversion?

scratch the how did you do the conversion im reading up on that now

About $5500 for the wood, epoxy, carbon fiber, sails and trailer. There was also a bunch more for the ratchet blocks, furler & other rigging bits, as well as varnish, sanding disks, brushes, rollers, gloves, earplugs, woodflour, phenolic microballoons, graphite, etc.

If you use butt joints the wood costs go down. Wooden masts are cheaper than carbon fiber. Sewing your own sails (all 3 of them!) trades time for money. Use white sailcloth instead of tanbark and there's more money saved. If you don't get a brand new Trailex aluminum trailer but go with a used galvanized one from Craigslist, that'll knock your price down some, too. You don't need onlays, a laminated cedar coaming, etc. Those are just artistic touches and a plain boat sails just as well for less time and money.

Laszlo

Thanks this I feel will be quite a fun project. I will let you know when it gets started and I hope you dont mind if I pester you for questions and you wouldent happen to be in Florida would you?

I don't and I'm not :-)

Are you thinking of the stock boat or the scaled version?

Laszlo

Stock is what I am thinking but stitch and glue seems to be the way the plans are going to be purchised this week

The plans are not available stitch and glue. They are only available plywood on frame with screws. That's why I had to do the conversion. If you get the stock plans you will have to convert them to stitch and glue yourself.  

Yurp I know

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.