Pleasing way to correct one inch gap between aft seat and transom.

Ladies and gents ... I would appreciate your ideas with regard to correcting a 1" gap between the aft seat and the transom of my Chester Yawl (the forward part of the seat rests on the afte bulkhead while the aft section of the seat butts up to the transom). 

Here are the details: early in the build when I wired the wine glass transom onto the hull I did so at a slight angle, with the top of the transom slightly aft of the bottom. This created  a challenge as I had not noticed it and measured the position of the frames and bulkheads from the top of the transom on the gunnels but the frames did not fit correctly, so I positioned the forward bulkhead and used the floor boards and spacers to determine the position of the other frames and bulkhead. This all worked great and the aft bulkhead fits perfectly. The one thing that did not is a gap of about 1" between the aft seat where it meets the transom. Now that I glassed the forward and aft tanks and that I am ready to seal them with the forward and aft seats, respectively I would like to find the most eye-pleasing way to fill that gap, short of cutting a new piece and messing with the curved sides.

Of course, I could buy some ply and cut a new seat that is 1" longer, or I could add a 1" piece glued onto the seat, or make a huge fillet. Any other potential suggestions I have not yet considered?

Thanks you in advance,

Eric

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Pleasing way to correct one inch gap between aft seat and transom.

Opportunities like this offer a lot of possibilities. I'd use wood, not a fillet. Your ideas of glueing on a 1" piece or making a new seat one inch longer wood be the easiest. Glueing on a piece of wood with a contrasting color can be a pleasing design change. Have fun!

George K

You might want to cut out a section from the middle and still keep the fore and aft ends of the seat. The Northeaster Dory rear seat is made up of pieces. Image 45 of 84 in the CLC dory gallery shows it. http://www.clcboats.com/media_gallery/slideshow.html?boat_id=36&content_type=2&next=45 I imagine you could do something similar with the boards running in the perpendicular direction. If you used a contrasty piece of wood, or even painted the middle one, it would look like you meant it all along.

Thank you both for the creative ideas! I like the thought of creating a pattern of contrasting woods. I checked out the gallery and I think I might choose a pattern and create matching forward and aft seats. Any wood advice?

what do you all think of laminating some bead and cove strips on top of the original seat (+ a 1" strip glued under the laminate for support)?

Cheers,

Eric

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.