Northeaster Mast Step and Center Board Trunk

Got my mast step and center board trunk successfully installed today (glued and screwed).   Has anyone ever felt it necessary to add fillets to the bases in order to get added strength?   Seeing as CLC didn't call for it I suspect its not needed.  Thanks.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Mast Step and Center Board Trunk

I decided that the mast step would not have a lot of forces being applied horizontally since it isnt very high. So I didnt do any there. but I figured the daggerboard housing might be a weak spot. if for no reason that it is going to be used as a support when getting up and down. since it sets well above the contact point there could be a lot of leverage acting on the joint when some one leans up or pulls on it. so I added a small fillet to that base, but not anything nearly as big as what is used for the bulkheads. it also sort of cleans up the look a bit down along that edge.

RE: Northeaster Mast Step and Center Board Trunk

I'm pretty sure CLC has said there can be  healthy lateral loads on the dory mast step so I did small fillets on the outside of the mast step, and even got some on a stick and did a small fillet on the inside...I also cut the aft lower corner off for water drainage so thought small  fillets would be a cant hurt, might help type thing. 

https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE#5982177681534902770

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.