Upside Down Has Advantages

Accidentally discovered an easier way to work on the inside of my dory--sitting on the floor under the boat upside down.   It can be a long reach over the gunwale to reach inside to work on things...(right now it's fitting the foam for the floatation).  I finished the bottom paint yesterday and really didnt want to flip it back up until tomorrow just to be safe but I wanted to work on the foam so I laid out the interlocking foam pads and got good at rolling under the boat...actually easier to work on fitting the foam pieces like that, or take a nap, but dont hit your head on the daggerboard trunk.  I'm sure experienced boat builders discovered this long ago, so this falls into the "tips for first time builders" list.    

Curt

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Upside Down Has Advantages

Curt,

To avoid rolling under the boat (I have an old knee injury that makes that a nuisance), I tilted my dinghy (here it's getting its first coat of primer) by tying it to a support. If you've got the right setup, you can even hang it upside down from the shop ceiling and work on it standing up, if that's more comfortable.

Have fun,

Laszlo

RE: Upside Down Has Advantages

A shop creeper (a la auto shop) and/or wheeled shop stool (hight adjustible) are great for moving around a boat if you are one of us that is mobility challanged. Just be sure to whear your safety glasses because the odd bit of crud will fall into your eyes.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.