Your Ideas For Navigation Lights?

I love to sail at night (i.e. Moonchaser) and am looking forward to selecting navigation lights for my dory.  Does anyone have experience with the battery operated ones with LEDs?  Or other ideas? 

Thanks!

Curt 830/997-8120 [email protected]

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Your Ideas For Navigation Lights?

I'm using the ones from West Marine. They are LED and use 4 AA batteries. I'm building a Peeler and using a red/green bow light and the all around white stern light.   CLC also sells a smaller version.

Technically you do not need any.  Personally, I find a good strong flashlight to be more effective than standard nav lights on small boats. 

Colregs Rule 25

(d) (i) A sailing vessel of less than 7 meter in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision. Sailing Vessel Underway less than 7meters

(ii) A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.

Hi Mark...100% agree that's the rules...I've just always had nav lights on small boats so other boats know which way I'm going plus give  power boaters going fast some warning before I have time to grab the flashlight..     

klitz...I guess there's only a couple of options, the two you mentioned.  The advantage of the one from CLC is so many other uses, plus you can grab it off the magnets and throw it in the water in the unlikely event of a MOB.  I think it's funny that you can put the nav light on your hat with their supplied magnet...guess if you turn around you could put your hat on backwards      (:->).  Looks like the all white light with the bendable mount (stern) and red/green lite on the magnet plate (bow) is a good set up

Thanks guys

Anyone have other ideas?

Different states have different requirement.  A light seen from all directions at all times at night is required in New Hampshire even on a kayak.  We use this light and get comments from other boaters whose lights look positively dim compared to this LED:

Kayalite® Kayak Deck, Anchor and Stern Light

One can roll a kayak with it with no problems.  

interesting and thanks Mark, I am building kayaks and have had thoughts of shrimping (dip netting) from the kayak. I had thought when I was in power squadron the rule was no paddleing craft could be on the water at night. According to the rule posted I can woohoo! Since I have to have a battery I can install the stereo. sweet!!!

I too would put a bow light and stern light.

OK, now we're talking the next step...   if you want stereo or other low amp accessory, the rechageable 12 volt gel cell batteries the size of one in alarm systems and motorcycles would be plenty..a roll of speaker wire, permanently mounted nav lights and botta boom.

See Recommendations: Kayak Lights and Kayak Lighting techniques for Dawn, Dusk & Night Paddling

Because most kayaks are less than 7 meters or 23 feet they are treated like small sailboats. There are many reasons why a kayak would be out at night or during darkness. Most importantaly they need to be able to get to shore in the dark just like any small craft.

maybe a solar panel across the back just aft of the cocpit...lol

The thought has crossed my mind and still seriously considering.

imagine the looks paddling across the flats with bluegrass booming

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.