Rope Carrying Handles On A Dory?

I have 3 nice brass handles for my dory...one for the breasthook and one for each side of the transom for one person on each end to carry the dory.  These handles would also serve the purpose of being a spot to tie a line for mooring at a dock, or to a tree on  beach.  But I'm not sure I like that idea (handles).  I've seen the rubber molded ones typical for kayaks and other designs, but I'm wondering about simple rope handles...one on the breasthoook (two holes with stopper knots underneath the breasthook) and one rope across the transom with holes in the upper corners and stopper  knots on the other side of the transom...may be easier for a person to carry the stern with one "handle" that goes across the width of the transom.  I'm thinking the look of some nice heavy white 3 twist line would look nautical and be easy to grab.. 

Your thoughts or other suggestons?

Thanks!!

Curt 830/997-8120  [email protected]

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Rope Carrying Handles On A Dory?

Curt,

I like rope handles myself, I use them on the family kayaks, but there's a couple of things to keep in mind about them.

First, compared to a kayak, a dory is heavy. You can and up with a lot of twisting and pulling forces being applied to a wrist or fingers. So the handles should be short and thick. The one for the breasthook sounds fine if the line is thick enough and the knots adjusted so that a hand just fits, but one line going entirely across the transom sounds risky to me, especially  if the boat is in surf  or falling off a trailer.

Another disadvantage of a rope loop is the relative difficulty of making fast or releasing a line compared to something like a cleat.  You may want to consider having both.

Finally, here's how I thickened up my loop. I cut the line twice as long as the circumference of the loop, then spliced the ends back onto each other. It won't come untied and is more comfortable to my hand than a double fisherman's knot. I recommend using the cheap nylon/poly blend from Home Depot. Everything that makes that stuff crap for every other use is perfect for a handle. The materials and loose lay make it soft and comfortable for the hand, albeit a bit more difficult to splice.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Curt,

I just finished reading my manual(still waiting on my kit) and one of my notes is to make use of the painter's line for a handle. I plan to set up the painter with a ring on the outside of the boat(to assist with trailering, tying at dock, etc) and a spliced loop on the inside with a laced leather grip to match the oar collars. 

I might do something similar at the transom, but I haven't thought that far ahead yet!

~ Jennifer

Laszlo...thanks for the picture...nice braidwork, that would be nice on the bow, and I see your point about one rope loop across the transom...have to think on that before I do anything..maybe bring the holes in more narrow each side of the scupper hole...as a test, and maybe temporary solution, I'll have to see if I can tie a piece of line to the rear most inner rail slot on each side,  looped back around the transom to simulate that and see how it feels if a rope line were off the aft side of the transom..

Jennifer..I opted for a bow eye for multiple reasons (note the ones from CLC are better than the ones from West Marine) and dont have a painter, but your comment made me think of something...for now until I decide what to do on the bow (I dont like drilling holes in perfectly varnished wood) I could just keep a piece of line tied to the most forward slot in the inner rails brought together for a handle, then split to each side of the bow and the other ends tied to the bow eye..not perfect, but it could get me by for now so I can test it in actual use and dont have to make sawdust until I know more about what I want to do .

Thanks for the comments!  you guys gave me ideas to work on.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.