NE Dory or something else?

My father and I are looking to build a boat and I was hoping the enthusists here might have some good advise.  My Dad is currently building a Tolman Skiff so he does have wood boat building exsperiance.  I want to do this project to spend time wth him and have something to keep that we built together.  I have a wish list and was hoping everyone here might be able to provide alternatives or assure me that this is the right boat for what I want.  I am not exsperianced with boat building so forgive me if I sound navie.  I would love to have something that has room or two people or one with camping gear, option of drop in row unit and able to switch to a sailing rig, and stich and glue construction, and easy enough for one person to load and unload..  I want a boat that I can use to go on day trips with a guest or overnight camping trips by myself on lakes.  I also wanted to see if I could attach a small outboard but my Dad was saying that with such a small engine I could row just as fast and it would be pointless.  I just want something as versitle as possibe.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory or something else?

The Northeaster Dory definately meets all these criteria and can be built by a novice. The Skerry would be good but I've have not seen one with a rowing unit installed. Not sure what would prevent it. If a small outboard is important the Passagemaker Dinghy would be great but, again, I'm not sure about the rowing unit for it.

I dont have it on the water yet, and other builders reading this forum have sailed NE Dory's all over, including endurance expeditions.  I selected the NE Dory for all your reasons, and here are some more:

--Just like a big sailboat with auxiliary power, you can get in the boat from a dock or very shallow water,  "motor" away from shore (row), then when safely in deep water, daggerboard down, row into the wind, and hoist sail.  Small daysailors don't have oars so it's a put up the sail, unstrap the rudder and centerboard, point it into the lake, and run and jump in on the fly as your rudder drags the bottom, those days are behind me.  Being able to row the dory then set sail more gracefully is great and you don't have to get wet, plus it is easier with non sailors.

--CLC has done a great job in the lug sail version..a must if you want to switch from rowing to sailing or vice versa while on the water.

--The Dory has an 800 pound payload capacity, way more than other boats in that size range. 

--The dory has a rich history in use so the design and hull shape is well proven.

--Three rowing stations for either one or two rowers allows flexibility based on your passenger make up, if a guest wants to row with you or not, either way

Curt Dennis . email:[email protected] 
home:  830 997 8120,  cell: 817 456 2878

Boat Build Photo Journal: https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE#

it sounds like your describing the ne dory exactly.ive opted to build a dory for the same reasons. i can sail it , dive off of it row around a passenger  add a rower.add a slding seat.  i even have a scheme for sleeping aboard using a cot with adjustable legs and a floorless tent. ive build 4 of clc's boats and this one looks like a very easy build the kit parts are already dilled and notched so everything winds up where it;s supposed to go

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.