How many coats of epoxy for Shearwater sport interior?

Hey guys, I'm moving along on my Shearwater Sport. I had a quick question. I've got the first coat of fiberglass/epoxy on all of the interior pieces. How many coats of epoxy should I be doing? The instruction book doesn't really give much info as far as process for fiberglassing and epoxy, though I know it said to do 2 coats in the cockpit I believe. Should I do 2 coats on the underside of the deck and along the tape joints in the bulkheads or not?

Also, the book says the next step is to glue the deck to the hull, I saw another post here that asked if it was possible to do things like sanding and such before assembling everything, which i plan on doing. The question here is, since I fiberglassed everything, there's no holes to tie the deck and hull together. Is the instruction book assuming you'll drill new holes to tie it? My other problem is I'm out of wire.... for a second time!! How well does packing tape or stretch wrap work in joining the two pieces?

Thanks ahead of time!

PS. I've been doing a time lapse of the entire build so far and plan to continue. Looking forward to sharing with ya'll.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How many coats of epoxy for Shearwater sport interior?

Sounds like 3 questions, not 1 :-)

First question - check out this Shop Tip. It explains everything you'll ever need to know about glassing and how many coats of epoxy to use.

2nd question - I haven't seen the manual, but if you're supposed to wire the deck to the hull and you've covered over the stitch holes, then yes, you need to drill them out again. I have a hand-powered twist drill with a 1/16" bit that I use just for that, but any drill will work if you're careful.

3rd question - Packing tape and shrink wrap work fine, but sometimes wire is easier to adjust. It's a practice/personal preference thing. If you've run out of wire, you can buy 18 gauge solid wire at Home Depot, Radio Shack, etc. without having to wait for it to be shipped to you. If you get the insulated stuff, just strip it before using it.

Looking forward to the time lapse,

Laszlo

Hi Tymann,

Laszlo is the expert, and I am just a first timer (SW17 S&G), but I have had very good results with the stretchwrap.  I have left behind the stitches, and will not return to them.  I am about ready to glue the hull and deck together, and the deck has spread more than a little bit from the interior glassing.  But some patience and the stretch wrap are enough to bring it back in alignment.  The bevels align the edges in place, the stretch wrap holds them firm.

I also found some cheap putty knives at the local Walmart that have very thin but strong blades.  These are ideal for prying the panels in place and holding them while applying the stretch wrap, without damaging the shear edges.  I've done the wrap on my own but a second pair of hands would make it go twice as fast.

Good luck!!  Sounds like you are going great.

Alec

Thanks for the responses. Guess I wasn't quite specific enough regarding the first question. I understand how fiberglass works and epoxy and all that. Guess what I'm trying to figure out is if it's neccesary to have the weave filled for the interior components, especially the bulkheads where perfection doesn't matter at all. When I built a strip canoe, I did two coats inside and one outside. That way I had traction on the interior of the canoe. I think I'll probably just go with two coats on all interior components and call it good.

As for wire, I've searched long and hard at hardware stores and home depot for 18 gauge wire, they don't have any that's uninsulated. Personally, I don't think I'd be a fan of stripping 25' of wire of insulation. Perhaps I'll do a trial with the stretch wrap/packing tape. If all works well, I'll use that. If not, guess I'll do some wire strippin!

Thanks again.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.