Newbie tip: avoiding those stray threads at the edge of the cloth

Wish there were a newbie forum for share-as-you-go tips, so I wouldn't have to bother all you experts out there who already know this and know it better than me.  (John - any chance of that?)

For those like me still learning the basics, I stumbled on a workable solution to the stray-threads-at-the-edge-of-the-cloth problem that leads to extra sanding, or at least digging threads out of the epoxy, which pulls out more threads, etc etc.  It is a take-off on the "put masking tape on the cloth where you want to cut; cut down the middle of the tape; when the epoxy sets, fold up the tape, cut the cloth with a knife, then scrape and sand the raw edge" solution I've seen on the blog.

Here goes:

1.  I put masking tape on the cloth, so that the untaped part is 1/2" bigger on each side than I want the piece of cloth, and I cut down the middle of the tape.

2. I lay the cloth where it should go, with the masking tape on the *under side* of the cloth.  I wet out the cloth up to the tape, then brush and squeegee to my heart's content.

3. Right away, while the epoxy is still wet, I carefully lift the masking tape and a bit of the cloth off the surface.  With sharp scissors, I cut the wet cloth on the cloth-side of the masking tape, where I want the edge to be.  The masking tape comes off completely with the part of the cloth that I cut off and throw away.  I found that cutting wet cloth with sharp scissors does not result in any stray threads, since the wet epoxy already holds the threads together. 

4. After cutting, I don't brush or squeegee the edge of the cloth any more, or else the threads come apart.  I just pat it down with the tip of a brush.  It is already wet out, and seats itself nicely on the epoxy that is already on the surface below.  The edge is very clean, and easy to feather after it cures. 

I suppose this could even be done without the tape, or with the tape on the under-surface rather than on the cloth.  That could make it faster and more versatile (e.g. for the main hull and deck cloth).  Haven't gotten that far yet, though.

I am pushing 60, but I feel like a kid again building the CLC kit.  Did anyone else make monster models as a kid?  My favorite was The Creature from the Black Lagoon (kind of appropriate for my Shearwater).

Best! 

Alec

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Newbie tip: avoiding those stray threads at the edge of the cloth

Appreciate the tip Alec, just getting to dealing with that. I have come to describe my project to friends in the same way; a grown up model kit for a grown up kid.  

Ross

For me it was ship and rocket models, and I'm only pushing 50 but I feel the same way about my Kaholo build :-)

Thanks for the tip.

AFC

Iv e been in and out of this forum since 97 - no one here would ever take an uppity too-pro-to-care stance on anyones newbie experiences or queries.  Wishing for a newbie forum could serve u no better than the experience and generosity afforded here.

Pete  

Thanks, Pete.  I've had nothing but great experiences on the blog, but didn't want to clog up the great expertise of all you veterans with my learn-as-you-go ideas.

I hope all of us greenhorns will share their innovations and insights!  Its a big part of the fun for me.

Best, Alec

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.