MAJOR mistake...help!!!

Hi All,

Well, as I got to 98% done on my Mill Creek 13, I started getting antsy and hurrying. That being said, I have a mega problem on my hand. I put a thin coat of epoxy on he deck, the last coat, and was reparing to start adding layers of varnish. Wel, a day later the epoxy was 95% cured, and I thought I could put the varnish on and be done with it. So I did. Now, I have some spots on the deck that have spider cracks and looks horrible. The other parts are still tacky 3 days later. So, I was advised to try to wash the boat down with minerl spirits to get the varnish off. Then, re-sand and prep the deck and start over. Its sounds very messy and time consuming. But, thats what I'm working with. If anyone as any other suggestions to get me out of the predicament it will be much appreciated. Thank you i advance for yur help!!

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: MAJOR mistake...help!!!

Not to worry.

1. I would NOT use mineral spirits to attempt to remove the varnish.

It will do a poor job since the varnish has already set up so it will not      cut it.

In addition you will be drivng the thinner into the partially cured epoxy. This is a bad and will contanminate you epoxy substrate.

2. Are you using MAS expoxy?  If not it may have left amine blush (wax) on the surface which would make a mess of your varnish coat. Either way here is a suggestion to get you back on track.

Even though your varnish may be partially tacky you must sand it off.  Use 80 grit emery (wet/dry paper) and using lots of warm water wet sand the varnish off. Wet sanding cuts very quickly and you will find the varnish will be off it no time.  The paper will  clog so change frequently!  DO NOT USE AN ORBITAL SANDER. This is done with sanding block and by hand.  Once you are back to your epoxy (will will probably have sanded through some of it already)  Wipe down with alcohol or acetone. (I prefer alcohol) If still unsure wash with hot soap and water. Let it dry completely for a day.  Now move up to 220 grit wet/dry and wet sand your epoxy coat down. Once sooth to your liking, then clean surface again and apply think coat of resin. Make sure it has curred  (usually 48-72 hrs at 60 degrees)  Wash down again with soap and water and wipe with alcohol again. Let dry... then LIGHTLY sand with 220 to provide tooth for the varnish.

Others my have other ideas.  I have been in your situation on another build and this was my personal work around.

In a few days you will be back in the grove!

Enjoy the build

barkleydave

2 Mill Creeks,1 cedar strip, Passagemaker, 2 coffee table boats (plans)

Barkley D,

Thanks for the help! I started to sand, but found it painful. I have been scraping with a razor blade, and though slow, seems to get much of the soft finish off the boat. I'll wash the deck with the alcohol and then try to hit it with the hand sander or even the DA. Anyhow, thanks for your input. It gave me just enough confidence to attack the problem from a different angle.

I'll keep you posted.

Rob

My only added suggestion is to use a cabinet scraper rather than the razor blade. It is a bit larger and more efficient. 

Barry

I have broken 2 side panels in half (yes, the scarf joints are stronger than the wood.), my dad broke the bottom panel of a WD12 trying to wire the stern together, and probably the most scary, my son mixed up some epoxy with big air bubbles in the hardener pump (still gummy 1 week later).

So, in almost all of these instances the guys here have great advice to get you going again. Some are more painfull than others, but almost every mistake is fixable. Only you will notice on the finished boat.

Good luck,

JRC

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.