KIT QUESTION

Does anyone know if CLC includes varnish with their kayak kits?  Specifically the Petrel S&G kit?

I called CLC but could only get voice mail and I sent email but no answer after several days so I thought maybe someone on this forum might know.

Thanks in advance

Dennis

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: KIT QUESTION

The kits contain epoxy and basic hardware for installing included backbands and hatch toggles but do not contain finishing supplies such as sand paper, paint, or varnish. You can order then from CLC or buy it locally.

CLC does not provide sand paper, paint of varnish, nor do they say they do.

One of my best purchases for building my kayak was a random orbital sander that used the velcro type 5 inch discs. I used it a lot, both in sanding the strips, sanding the fiberglass resin and sanding between coats of varnish. I started going through 20 packs of 3M discs at $20 each at a local hardware store. I don't want to admit how much I spent on sandpaper there before I realized I could buy a pack of 50 of another brand for $20 at Home Depot.

I reached another conclusion that some may not agree with...I spent $150 for top of the line marine spar varnish, but when I started using my kayak, I found that I was scratching my bottom up continuously. I reached the conclusion that regular marine spar varnish is designed for topsides and not for bottoms because it is too soft. I sanded $150 worth of varnish off of my kayak and replaced it with Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. I bought one gallon at Home Depot (again) for $50, and I have most of the can left. Since then, I still get an occasional scratch on my bottom, but the finish is much tougher. This will be considered a sin by some, but the funny thing is you can buy the same stuff in a spray can for $10 and use it for quick touchups. I just prep the area with 200 grit sandpaper before spraying and I haven't had any problems with the finish pealing off, and it blends in with the existing finish. Works for me.

You can buy bulk sandpaper mail order or off the web for much less than the Home Depot prices (including shipping).The quality is better, too. Home depot is like 7/11 & Radio Shack - if you run out and need something NOW! they'll probably have an acceptable substitute priced for convenience, but if you have time to plan in advance and wait for delivery you can get it cheaper and better elsewhere.

I didn't see anything heretical about the varnish story. Even if it was, who you trying to impress with a coffee table bottom, the fish? :-)

Laszlo

Thanks, Laszlo. It didn't occur to me to shop for sandpaper online, but it's a great idea. 

I'm an old amatuer woodworker who's used hand tools to make dovetail joints and used cabinet scrapers for finishing, and the main finish I used involved mixing shellac flakes in denatured alcohol. I rarely used sandpaper for anything. Venturing into the realm of cedar strip kayak building was all new to me, so I relied on Nick's book, videos, the printed handout with the kit and this forum. I now have a beautiful and very tough kayak that draws a lot of compliments...including from fellow paddlers who tell me how nicely the kayak looks in the water.

The finishing of the boat took much longer and was much more expensive than I'd planned. If I'd known how much sandpaper I was going to use and that I could get it cheaply online, it would have saved me several hundred dollars. Nick's book and several forum strings refer to using conventional varnish, and so that's the path I took...although there are many references in the forum for using the Minwax urethane.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  John got back to me with an email too.  I forgot that Canoecopia was underway, hence the small delay in getting back to me.

Also, I agree with the ordering of disks on line; you can save a lot of money buying by the box.  I prefer Mirka products but there are several other good products as well.

On my boats I have used Captains and Flagship both by Pettit and also the Helmsman.  The Captains is easier to apply then Flagship but does not have as much UV protection.  Both look good and hold up well.  The one time I used Helmsman I ended up redoing it in less then a year.  It just broke down in the sun.  I know that some have used it successfully but my experience left me with a bad impression of it for boat use.

Varnishing is an art on to itself and it takes a while to get the technique right.    After 7 boats, I am starting to get better at it and I'm going to try Flagship on this build.  It has held up the best on my other boats.

Thanks again for all the feedback;

Paddle safe;

Dennis

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.