Whats faster? 2 at once or one and then the other?

I am currently in the early stages of building both a Kaholo and a San O. Before I delve any further, which would be making scarfs for each board, I was wondering if anyone had advice on the most efficient way to proceed. Would it be faster to build the Kaholo first, since it is for my wife and I already have a finished Kaholo for me, and then continue on the San O, or are there times when I could save time, and maybe even epoxy if I did each step somewhat concurrently?

Seeing as how I am building the Kaholo for my wife I will need a very compelling case to do them at the same time. I would also stress that I am not in a hurry. I learned my lesson about hurrying on my first build. I just want to save time if possible.

Thanks,

Bret

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Whats faster? 2 at once or one and then the other?

I have built  2 boats at once and I think is save time and material.   Many steps are repeated and the same.  One build  is just as easy as two at the sametime.

Lance

I don't think I could bear sanding two boats one after the other. Granted a Kahalo is all flat surfaces and can be powered through for the most part, but still, making dust gets old fast.....

To me, two at once seems a lot like work, while one at a time seems like a relaxing pursuit. 

my thoughts (note....have done 2 at a time before)

plusses:

• allows the satisfaction of taking a goof on one boat and immediately correcting it on the next boat (see important note on minuses)
  • saves a bit of time on general set-up of tools and workplace for the step you are doing (e.g., changing drill bits, or breaking out/putting away a one-time use that might get used like a drill press)

minuses:

• doubles down on a goof if you don't realize you were going wrong before you replicate it on the next boat.
  • can get boring/not fun for steps that are long and tiresome (e.g., sanding/finishing) to do it twice back-to-back
  • if you don't have a lot of space, can get the workplace cluttered.
  • certain tools would need in large quantities (e.g., clamps) to really do the same step at the same time

other:

my sense is that any money saving was probably marginal.  for me, i was working during the winter...so you could argue i saved a bit on electricity (e.g., had one heated garage and got two boats out of it). 

on time saving, fwiw, i did get two boats done in about the same number of total elapsed days that usually got me one boat...but i was just working a lot more each day becuase i had a goal (two boats in the water for the spring) that i had committed to.

Two at the same time with my wife building hers allowed me to help her, have company, and get help on the steps that were best done with two people.     

Awesome,

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I may do at least some of the early steps at the same time. I certainly feel like this could save time with making scarf joints at the very least.

I am also trying to make sure I really can save time and not just making an excuse to start the San O a little earlier so I am ready to race on it this summer.

Thanks again,

Bret

I'm building 5 (so far, might turn into 6, but have only paid for 5 licenses so far) CH17's with a group of guys in my little two-car garage/shop in a town that is at least three hours from anything like a marine store. All supplies are shipped, except stainless fasteners that can come from our well-stocked Ace Hardware. By building/buying in "bulk", I've kept the total per-boat cost to just about $550, including varnish, paint, seat back and minicell foam seat, a carbon coaming, and a carbon paddle. Still, each boat's cost ends up including over $50 in shipping costs, but that's lots better than Noah's plywood shipping fee for a single boat, or CLC's. If you know you're going to build more than one boat, it's a good idea to at least buy all the stuff at once...

https://picasaweb.google.com/117880383229715256733/Kayaks?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I love the picture of the girl sitting in the cockpit brandishing a paddle and a roar at the same time.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.