CLC Racer

I have assembled hull and tape glassed outside seams (Chines, transom-bottom). It's making difficult to maintain straight-level contour from frame 4 to transom as desired. Epoxied tape adds thickness. Looking for ideas to maintain bottom straight contour. Ideas?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: CLC Racer

I'm sorry, I don't understand your problem.  CLC's CCR kits don't use fiberglass tape on their outside seams, just cloth.  Are you building from a CLC kit, CLC plans, or from CCWBRA plans?

If your bottom isn't fair, you'll need to add a lightweight filler to the low spots before you apply the fiberglass covering.  You can also sand down high spots, slightly - too much sanding of the bottom panels will weaken the bottom.  If you're building from CLC plans or a kit, the interior should be fiberglassed before you turn the hull over to work on the bottom.  The interior glassing locks in the hull shape.  Don't work on the hull's outside surfaces before finishing the interior.  Good luck.

building to CCWBRA plans. I did interior with Thixo on frames, keel, Chines before outside. Applied FG tape and resin to outside keel, chine, transom. Need to cut down - too much resin. What' the best way?

Eb,

You can feather the edges of the tape so the transition to the plywood isn't as proud. If you're still not satisfied use a fairing compound such as phenolic microballoons in the epoxy and squeegee some on either side of the tape. You should be able to sand that smooth. As far as putting less epoxy down, try rolling it on with a foam roller and "tip" it out with a foam brush. I know there's no fiberglass cloth on the CCWBRA boats so you have to rely on fairing compounds and sanding. 

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.