Pre-epoxy Kaholo parts?

I've never seen this mentioned, but why wouldn't I want to put a seal coat of epoxy on the inside panels and the bulkheads of my Kaholo before I star stitching? Seems like it would save time and I would have better control of the epoxy, ie, I could put it on thinner with less waste (and weight).  Any reason not to do this? 

Thanks,

sean

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Pre-epoxy Kaholo parts?

I guess you technically could.  Since there is no sanding involved for the interior of the board I don't see it as a savings.  Epoxy'ing the interior isn't all that involved; you are looking for the sealed vessel versus any visual trophy.  Laying out and epoxying all the individual parts only to to assemble later doesn't look like a time saver for me but technically it is feasible.  You would have to drill out your stich holes afterwards.

Don't forget sanding, unless you can stitch it, and make it straight in less than 24 hours.

I have built 2 Kaholos and I pre-glassed everything that went on the inside . The bottom skins were cut and finger joined Then glassed on the inside with 2 oz glass cloth,no fill coat at this time. Side panels were finger joined then glassed with 2 0z glass cloth,no fill coats.The shear clamps were then glued on. Deck panels were finger joined then glassed with 2 oz glass cloth with a 4 oz deck patch 42 inches long centered in the standing area. Frames were glassed with 2oz glass cloth on both sides before cutting them out. Also the deck stringers were glassed with 4 oz glass cloth on both sides before cutting them out. Before assembly I wiped them twice with wet rag. When they were dry I wiped again with a laquer thinner soaked rag. After the bottom hull was all glued togethere and before the deck was glued down I brushed and rolled all the inside with one fill coat of resin. Also one fill coat of resin on the inside of the deck panels. Then the deck was glued down. The outside got one layer of 2 oz glass cloth and two fill coats of resin. Then it was shot with 2 coats of Automotive clear coat. Then the deck pads were glued down. Saves a lot of time glassing on a flat work bench.

I seal coated the bottom and side panels before assembly, it made them slightly stiffer but they went together reasonably well. I will probably do the same thing for the stringers. The plan is to do a second thin seal coat on all parts once they are assembled. 

@Wood how much weight did glassing the inside of the hull add? 

Thanks for the replies. Wood Ogre, I'm curious as to why you glassed the bulkheads, and with this sort of glass layup you described, what was the final weight of your board?  

Sean

Sean, I live on the Island of Kauai , Hawaii. 1/8 and 1/4 inch plywood is not to be had here regardless of price so I have to use what I can get . Mostly I use 1/8 inch Meranti ply and have to deal with voids and cracks that I inject with epoxy. The only good thing is that the wood I am using does have water proof glue. Meranti is very strong. I glass with 2oz on both sides to increase the stength (sandwitch construction). I have been using balsa wood core on my hallow surfboards for a long time so have a good feel for what glass cloth works for what wood I use. I am good with the glassing and when I do my resin on a 14 ft stand up board I will only have about an oz of grunge when I squeegee out the resin. No resin on the floor. My Kaholos are 35 pounds including fin box and fin. I wish that I could get Okoume marine ply (the Kaholos would weigh several pounds less ) I have considered shipping in a unit of Okoume and selling it out of my shop but there would not be much demand on this small Island and I would have to sit on it a long time before I sold it all. With the economy as bad as it is I will just continue doing what I do for now.  Sean, I re read your post and you asked about a seal coat not about a glass coat,sorry i miss understood you. A seal coat of epoxy on the inside if put on with a brush and roller is going to add about 2 and 1/4 pounds to your board. I do seal my wood before glassing but I use de waxed shellac shot on with a spray gun which adds only about 3 to 4 oz. and prevents out gassing through your cloth. I did a building thread on swaylocks and standupzone that is very detaled. I will look around and see if I can find a link for it. Aloha  Wood_Ogre

Thanks Wood Ogre, that's what I thought. A seal coat, put on with a spreader, has to be lighter than brushing it on after assembly. I'm using 3.2 ounce glass, I'll report back with a final weight when done.

sean

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.