Shipping Question

Hi, this is a follow on message to my previous post.  Does anyone have experience shipping something the size of a take-apart Passage Maker dingy?  I think I would enjoy attending a building class, but am not sure what it would cost to ship the product home (San Diego).

Scott

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shipping Question

What, you're not going to put it in at Spa Creek, go out into the Chesapeake through Annapolis, navigate down to Norfolk out into the Atlantic, then around Florida, through the Panama Canal and up the west coast of Mexico and sail triumphantly into San Diego Harbor like a modern Cabrillo? :-)

Seriously though, I've never shipped a boat but 10 years ago an upright piano from San Diego to Maryland cost me a bit over $1000. That was way heavier than a PMD. The take-apart version might actually take up only slightly more volume in the truck.

Wonder if CLC would be able to set up a West Coast building venue for classes?

Good luck,

Laszlo

Don't know about CLC, but some building classes accept students who just want to learn and help others rather than working on a boat of their own. You could have a great time there and build the boat at your own pace when you get home, with the benefit of everything you learned in the class. Just another idea ...

Old Yeller

I've heard of people helping someone else in a class build their boat, that sounds like a great way to go, then build it at home taking  your time.

Also, if you think you may be trailering the boat, that opens up to other options on boats.

Appears like there are classes closer to you than Anapolis too:

http://www.clcboats.com/boatbuilding_classes/

http://www.clcboats.com/various/great-destinations-2014-build-your-own-boat-classes.html

Thanks again - Great info about the class options.  I'll keep you all posted.

Scott

Look up packing and crating companies in the area you wish to ship from. Give them dimensions, weight, weather proofing requirements and they should be able to answer your question.  Usually they will crate, and ship it to either distribution center loading dock or curb side. Note curb side means $$ you unload it from the truck. Loading dock means less $$ and you go there  pick it up with your truck.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.