MAAS Epoxy needed for a Northeaster Dory

Can anyone give me an estimate of the amount of MAAS epoxy needed for three coats on a Northeaster Dory?  I'm concerned I'm going to run out before I'm finished.  Thanks much.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: MAAS Epoxy needed for a Northeaster Dory

An experianced builder could probably finish a build with the epoxy included with the kit but the rest of us mortals will probably need 50% to 75% more.

Agreed...I've already ordered another half gallon/quart on top of the two gallon/one gallon it come with.  I think part of the problem is that the instructions dont clearly indicate how many coats of epoxy to do where.  In talking with CLC two coats is fine in some places but the instructions say 2-3, or "At least 3 coats" (page 69) so if you do 3 coats on everything, let alone more, my thinking it will take at least 3 gallon resin, 1-1/2 gallon hardener, OR MORE...I'll tell you  when I'm done with the inside and outside..I may have to order more again..should have just ordered a whole gallon of resin and half gallon of hardener extra...oh well, we'll see.  CLC instructions could be more specific about how many coats to apply where, or provide the criteria to know how may to apply, and could recommend using plastic sheeting on flat surfaces to maximize the epoxy that doesnt get sanded off.

I get the idea that an experienced builder would use less epoxy but I havent wasted all that much epoxy in the bottom of my mix cups.

Curt 830/997-8120

Thanks guys.  Based on what I've got left from the amount supplied with the kit, I'm going to buy the gallon of resin and half gallon of half gallon of harderner.  It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has run short.

You might compare the price of just the hardener and resin to whichever kit has the same epoxy and hardener...basically I found you get the wood flour and cel-o-fil almost free if you buy the kit, plus you get new pumps

It's not so much waste but how crazy you get sanding to a smooth surface. I think it was Lazlo that suggested that once you have filled the weave you cut down the high spots and then apply apoxy only to the low spots. This would use less epoxy than recoating the whole smash, you would be less likely to cut through to the wood, you get a lighter hull, use less emergency language and save money and sanity.

Sounds good to me. Can't wait until it's epoxy weather again.

Saying how many coats is actually sort of meaningless as a measure of the amount of epoxy to plan for. That's because now you need to know how much epoxy in a coat and the only accurate answer is twice as much as in a half coat.

All any kit provider can do is to estimate based on past sales. One big problem is the builder's skill level. Experienced builders use dramatically less epoxy than newbies. (They also sand less and have nicer looking boats. That's why it's good to build lots of boats). If an experienced builder ends up with lots of left-over epoxy they've been over charged for the kit. If a newbie runs out they don't get overcharged since they need that additional epoxy anyway, but there's distress for an unplanned expense and interruption in the workflow. All any kit provider can do is try to hit the sweet spot that keeps all customers happy.

The answer is to build more boats. It's been interesting over the years for me to have moved from ordering another gallon kit to having over a quart left over. I distinctly remember beinng pissed at why "they" didn't include enough epoxy (and woodflour). Now I'm wondering what will I do with all this extra epoxy and stuff. Sometime soon I'll be able to build a "leftovers" boat.

Thin coats, targeted fairing, fillets just thin enough to allow the glass to make its minimum bend radius, taking out the stitches instead of burying them, replacing endpours with formed wood endpieces all minimize epoxy use. Eventually these techniques will be second nature and you too will wish CLC sold smaller epoxy kits.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Building a dory. Just ordered my second additional quart of epoxy. Hope that its enough

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.