Seeking Advice Re: CLC Boat Selection and Use

Hi, I recently bought a small home in San Diego CA near Mission Bay and am interested in building a small boat to sail the bay and possibly take out the channel into the kelp beds to fish.

I'm considering the Passagemaker with the idea that I would only attempt the channel and open seas under power in calm conditions.  Because I have limited boating experience, I wonder if this is within the scope of the Passagemaker and/or any other CLC boat.

Thanks for your help!

Scott

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Seeking Advice Re: CLC Boat Selection and Use

Any open boat is best used in sheltered waters. The PM should do great in the bay. However, it is limited in speed by its water line length and power by its size. Dealing with the currents and traffic in the channel might be a problem. Also, the PM would quite literaly be a fly speck to larger boats and,if I remember correctly, that area is prone to fog so it would be rather nerve wracking to not end up as road kill.

Any CLC boat would be good to "learn the ropes" in the bay and then you could better judge what would best cope with local conditions. The least you would have is a great boat.

FWIW, 30+ years ago I took an 8-ft sabot from the Sail Bay in Mission Bay out to the end of the jetties. I had no problems, but it was a clear calm day with no boat traffic to speak of. Once you get enough experience the PMD should be fine (boats that size have crossed the Atlantic), but until then stay in the bay.

Laszlo

Scott...will you be trailering or car topping your boat?

Catboater, Laszlo, thanks much for your replies.

Moonchaser, I am leaning towards car topping since I'm within a mile or two of multiple boat launch areas.  If that doesn't pan out then I'll go with a trailer.

Scott

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.