Paint - Varnish Order For Components?

The inside of my Dory will be painted but the non hull parts will be varnished.  I can see varnishing the bulkheads, transom, and rails before painting, that seems easy enough but what about the mast step and the daggerboard trunk that will be varnished?  Would I paint the inside, of the boat, then sand the paint away in the contact areas for those two items, then glue them in already  varnished, then touch up the paint?

Thanks!!

Curt 830/997-8120

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Paint - Varnish Order For Components?

I usually assemble the entire boat, except for thwarts, and paint and varnish. Doesn't really matter which you do first. Just mask off the areas you don't want paint on if you do the paint first. Same for varnish first, but paint will go on over varnish. And if you do the varnish first and have a steady hand there's really not that masking to do for the paint.

George K

George,

Thanks for your comments...I'm recording notes and to wrap this up, tell me if this is correct please:

it's better to varnish first where paint meets varnish because you can run the varnish out a little onto the epoxy surface that will be painted, then put edge tape on the varnish, and paint over sanded varnish you ran out onto the epoxy surface.

So for example, on a dory, with the boat upside down the underside of the rails and transom would be varnished, running the varnish out a little onto the adjoining surface that will be painted.  Once the varnish is dry, sand the varnish to 220 that got onto the to-be-painted surface, tape on the varnish along the paint to varnish line and paint up to the tape.

Does that sound right?

Thanks!

Curt 830/997-8120

Curt,

That'll work just fine. Remember to post pics when you're done!

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.