How much will a beautifully finished 14' Kaholo be worth

I cant seem to find any Kaholo's (new or used) for sale anywhere , however my third build is complete and can be found on ebay. Its top of the page for highest price first search. Its so sweet and worth alot.  Supply and demand   

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How much will a beautifully finished 14' Kaholo be worth

Bridge, Nice board and I hope you sell it but at those prices it is not likely to happen. I paddle my Kaholo 14 6 days a week here in Hawaii (I have 2) so they get a lot of exposure and a lot of interest. Painted hull is a minuse and a plane wood deck is a minuse. I have one that has a book matched curley koa deck which is killer. I have gone as low as $2,000 for a Kaholo 14 and never got any takers. When you go over $2,000 everyone starts looking for Carbon fiber. Although I think $3,000 would be a good price and worth it. Even at that price your looking at a very small group that would buy it. I wish I could sell one of mine to get money for more board building projects ! It would make me extremly happy to see you get a good price for it ! Good Luck !

Nice board, but honestly it is probably not worth much this time of year, especially in New England. It is the wrong time to sell because all the buyer will be able to do with it is use it for a coffee table until all the ice melts and the way this winter is shaping up that may not happen until June

How to make a small fortune in boatbuilding:

Start with a large fortune.

Thanks to the 2 Wals (Walmart & Wall Street) training America that labor is worthless, that low price is more important than quality and sucking the cash from the middle class into the 1%'s pockets, it's almost impossible to charge skilled labor rates for the time that it takes to build a boat by hand. That's why beautiful lightweight wooden boats are made by hobbyists and everyone else has roto-molded clorox bottles that take 20 minutes to manufacture in an automated plant.

The only way to get a living compensation is to to very high quality work and find that rare customer who is willing to pay fair labor rates for it.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Walmart and Wall Street are simply giving the American consumers what they want and that is CHEAP! If Americans started demanding higher quality and were willing to pay a substantially higher price for it I am sure that the management team in Bentonville would take note.

Disclosure: I am long WMT (but I must admit I rarely shop there)

Don't kid yourself when all boats were wood, most buyers wanted a cheap price too.

The only way to make a living building wood boats is to have impeccable quality and sell to the .1%. If you are good enough, long enough, you can get commissions from the .01% just like having a Medici as a patron. We have advanced so far that we are back in the 1400's only this time it is the Princes of Finance who have all the wealth.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.