NE Dory Panel Problem

It seems that I may have screwed up my first panel glue up. I followed directions and mixed the expoy and Cello Fill to a mustard consistency and applied. I clamped the two pieces to my work surface (solid core wooden door) with a piece of wood across the joint screwed into the work surface.

I also even added a 5 gallon bucket of water on top of the wood clamp.

After 24 hours, my joint looked like this:

It looks like at one or two puzzle joints that it was not completely flat. I am afraid to sand it down smooth as I have seen posts about sanding too much.

Thanks for any thoughts, comments or help.

Paul Cochran

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Panel Problem

Paul-

I'm no expert as I'm just building my first Dory, but I think I've read elsewhere that you can use a heat gun to undo the glue.  I do think you'd have to sand them too much (and cut through the plies)  to fix them the way the photo looks.

When I was putting the puzzle joints together I found it was helpful to use a rubber mallet to make sure the joints were aligned and flush prior to clamping them down.

Dave

i had one joint turn out the same way due to a small wood chip under the plastic on the table. I took a  clamp on floodlight with a 125 watt heat lamp, positioned it about six inches from the joint, and held a hair dryer as close as I could.  It took about ten minutes to get the epoxy to soften enough to slide the joint back into position using a C-clamp to put pressure on the joint. The key is patience. Once the  epoxy started to soften it took about a half hour to fix the whole joint.  If you have an electric heat gun, even better, though you have to be careful not to scorch the wood with those.

If you don't already have some, pick up a set of cabinet scrapers. They're much easier to control when taking off big epoxy goobers than sandpaper.

-colin

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will have to try heating up.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.