Sequence To Finish Build Of Dory?

Hi all...would appreciate your expert thoughts on this!!

Thanks!

I just finished filling and sanding the lap joints on the bottom, and wonder people's thoughts about this sequence next.  Inside glass is also completed.

FLIP BOAT UP:
Outer rails
Glue in mast partner knees for lug rig
Inner rail blocks
Fillets under inner blocks
Inner rail
Assemble and install daggerboard trunk

FLIP BOAT DOWN:
Route opening in bottom of daggerboard trunk
Trim rear ends of outer rails hanging over transom
Install/fillet skeg
Wet-in a 3" wide strip of glass cloth around bottom of dagger board trunk, half on bottom of boat, other half folded up into daggerboard trunk
Wet in a strip of glass cloth over skeg
Glass bottom, fold flaps of cloth up into daggerboard trunk
Epoxy bottom early next day to avoid sanding

FLIP BOAT UP:
Sand inside
Assemble and install mast step
Seat blocks
Epoxy inside

Boat Build Photo Journal: https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE#

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sequence To Finish Build Of Dory?

Is there a reason you don't want to just follow the manual?  I did, with no complaints.

Just some minor reasons..and actually the basics are pretty much in the CLC sequence

For one thing, simply to reduce the number of times to flip the boat, but here are the only variations I was thinking about:

Also:

--Daggerboard trunk: The manual installs the daggerboard trunk as an add-on after the boat is finished as if it were bought as an option on an existing boat, and since I'm building it as a sail rig from scratch, it seemed to make sense to install the daggerboard trunk and route the slot before glassing the bottom in order to glass down into the slot a little.

--Mast partner knees (and inner rails):  Like the DB trunk, the manual also shows installing the mast partner knees well after boat is completely finished...I have to install the knees before I can do the inner rails  because they will be integrated together, so same as above, I was thinking about installing the knees/inner rails now, right after the outer rails, assuming it best to have the inner rail blocks right on bare wood. Or should I wait to put them in after epoxying the inside?    Would have to scuff up the epoxy to add the knees and rail blocks eh?.   Might make epoxying the inside easier and cleaner.

--Bottom epoxy: Manual shows coats of epoxy on bottom well after wetting in the glass on the bottom.  Wouldnt that require a scuff sand?  Why not just go ahead and do the glass and epoxy on the bottom/sides all in one very long day?

--Skeg: Mistake, should have showed installing the skeg after glassing, but before epoxying the bottom.  Wouldnt it work to glass the bottom, then install skeg/fillet immediately after the wetted out cloth on the bottom is not moving, then do the weave filling coats of epoxy and epoxy on the whole bottom?  They show adding the skeg after bottom is epoxied, then epoxying the skeg separately after the bottom epoxy has cured.

Just first time builder curiosities..Thanks for any recommendations!!

Curt

Your plan will work just fine. There isn't a problem in the order you're going to do things. I don't blame you for not wanting to turn the boat over several times! I built mine by myself and it can get exciting turning that hull over alone.

George K

I work very slowly with epoxy.  I cannot possibly do all of the steps shown for doing inside fillets, fitting glass, epoxying over glass for all 5 inner sections at one time-even with a helper.  I have a slight twist in the aft 1/3 of the hull which has been corrected with a gal of water hanging from a diagonal stick-this torques the transom enough to get rid of the twist in hull.  

Is there any problem with working up this aft 1/3 first with fillets, glass, and epoxy then working at the bow section another day?  Doing aft first and letting it dry will glue the twist into the corrected alignment.

Thanks for your advice.

No problem at all doing it that way. The important thing is to finish the fillets and glass in each section before starting another section. If you do a section a day and that's all you have time for it'll be just fine. Just leave the gallon of water hanging till all the sections are done and cured.

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.