Reef Points for Dory Lug Sail

I just realized after reading some posts that my sail has no reef points on it.  So far, I haven't needed to reef my sail since I have been very careful about choosing when I sail since I wouldn't consider myself expert at handling my boat.  Anyone have any info on this?  

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Reef Points for Dory Lug Sail

I ordered my dory lug sail with 2 sets of reef points. CLC's sailmaker did a great job on them.  I bet you could send the sail to them to get reef points put in (might as well do two sets of reef points) or any local sailmaker can do it too.   I've always been a fan of having reef points to either sail more comfortably when the wind builds, or go to second reef to just sail leisurely in light air or at night.  Dont know yet if it will be true in the CLC NE Dory but in every other sailboat I've owned reefing would not loose all that much boat speed but makes things a whole lot more comfortable, and if you have guests with you that can be important.

I spoke with CLC before I ordered my sail and their input was that the balanced lug sail on the dory is an ideal for reef points and there is plenty of sail to fit two sets.

I'm going to wait until I sail it some to decide how to rig lines to use the reefs....I did see one picture of a dory with two sets of jiffy reefing lines, but havent decided yet.

Interested to hear other people's ideas on rigging for reef lines.

RE: Reef Points for Dory Lug Sail

Reef points are one of those things that are simple enough for an inexperienced sailmaker to do on their own. All you need is a needle, thread, scissors or razor and some sailcloth. If you want metal grommets instead of sewn ones you'll need those and the appropriate tool, too.

Grab a copy of this book:

and it'll tell you everything you need to know.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.