Dory questions: tiller, rigging, and daggerboards; tips for builders

Hi Dory builders.

I just finished a dory.  Thanks to everyone for their tips and videos, and particularly to Ed Wigglesworth at CLC.

Tried posting this earlier but didn't show up so trying again.    I have some questions and tips.

Questions 

On rudder and tiller, any suggestions for hinge or better assembly?  Current set up is awkward.

On rigging, from videos on youtube some folks have multiple blocks and cleats.   I have lug sail.   I welcome ideas folks may have as to better arrangement.

On daggerboard, ideas to stop water coming up when rowing, eg using rubber gussets.  

Pictures on all three questions would be especially welcome.

Tips

Things I would have done differently that might help other new builders:

Used crosspieces before installed to make cardboard templates to cut insulation for later installation under seats

Done a better job gluing edges of daggerboard hole.  it leaked first time.  So I added some ugly thick fillets inside and out.  But not leaking now.

Also I used templates for thwarts and cut them to shape and glued them to insulation under seats.  Looks better and may perhaps protect it going forward.

I will be sailing in the Tracys Landing area on Chesapeake.  If folks want to get together to sail or row, just contact me through the builders group of Dories in the DC, Md, Va area or call me directly.  202 257 3882

Best Jonathan.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Dory questions: tiller, rigging, and daggerboards; tips for builders

Jonatathn,

Congratulations on completing your build, and thanks for the tips.  Anything you would have done differently on the daggerboard trunk to more assure no leaks?

I'm a first time builder, 30 year sailor,  just starting the glassing today with a lot of help from other builders and CLC folks, thank goodness for that! I will be interested in seeing other people's comments on your questions!  A couple of sailboaty thoughts:

On your daggerboard trunk splashing, I've heard of two ideas...make another daggerboard but make it so short it doesnt go below the boat.  Another one is a piece of PVC pipe with a little mini dagger board hanging below it, and the common technique day sailors with kick up centerboards use is two overlapping pieces of truck innertube material under a plate on the top of the trunk so when you push the daggeboard down, it parts the pieces of rubber..would require making a shorter daggerboard trunk to allow for the top plate, then again there's always duct tape.

On your sail rigging question, do you have reef points in it?  That may impact how you rig the sail.  I have two reef points and am still deciding if I want to do two separate jiffy reef lines or not on a boat this small.  

Curt Dennis
home:  830 997 8120
cell: 817 456 2878

RE: Dory questions: tiller, rigging, and daggerboards; tips for builders

Hi Curt

Your boat is coming along very nicely!

Up front I would have put more epoxy on the bare wood edges after cutting the hole in the hull for the daggerboard (but not too much as to impede daggerboard because it is a  bear to sand afterwards) and put a bead along the edges of the dagger board trunk inside and then painted hull.

Thanks for ideas.  I will try the truck innertube.

On sail, I ordered mine from CLC and it has one set of reef points.  Boat is very light so I can see how anything that facilitates reefing would be good.

Best Jonathan.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.