rabbet plane suggestions

Hi All,

Long time lurkers, my wife and I finally purchased our first kit, the Skerry. Reading through the builder's manual, I came across a new word: gains.  Looks like the opportunity to buy a new hand tool.  Looking for recommendations for a decent rabbet plane suitable for this task.  Fence, no fence, bull nose, shoulder... there is a wide range of planes that might work for this, but which type is best suited?

Harry and Stephanie, new Skerry kit owners.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: rabbet plane suggestions

I believe the Skerry uses rabbeted edges on the lapstrake planks so they will index properly to be more "kit-like"?

In traditional lapstrake boats the overlaps are flattened as they approach the stem so that the boat doesn't look like it was built by a house carpenter. The primary way to do this is to cut a lap-width "ramp" in each plank, from a thickness of zero to half the plank thickness- a good project for a rabbet plane. Or, another way is to cut two complimentary rolling bevels.

With the pre-rabbeted planks, I'd use a block plane to cut a rolling bevel in the lower plank, and a chisel and sanding block to cut the rolling bevel in the top, pre-rabbeted plank.

Start whatever distance from the stem the plans call for, or that will look fair as you bend the plank into place (this is just for looks, so make it look good!). At the stem end, you'll end up with a cut that is rolled all the way to half the pre-cut rabbet depth on the two planks (so a corner will be 1/16" thick on each plank, if the rabbet depth is 1/8"). The bevel is the same width as the rabbet on each plank, and the plank-side of the bevel is kept full thickness.

After you lay out the first one and get it to fit, the others will go together in jut a few minutes...

(no, I haven't built a Skerry, but I have built a plywood planked lapstrake boat)

Thank you Nemochad for the excellent instructions.  I am still looking for recommendations for a rabbet plane to purchase: make, size type etc. I have searched the forum, but am still uncertain what to buy. 

I've been using the Veritas "shoulder" planes from Lee Valley for years, and find them to be extremely well made and easy to use.  Very comfortable in the hand.  I would think the small or medium sizes would be perfedt for your use, the main difference between them being the width of cut.  I personally use the medium size.

Do you already have Shinto Rasps?  If not, they both are good tools for any woodworkers toolkit.  I already had the regular rasp (bought from CLC with the boat kit)  but just recently also got the Shinto Rasp Plane...amazing tool.  Dont know if this will work for what you are doing but I use both of mine for fairing the bow and many other places.  They even have teeth right on the edge, unlike a Stanley Surform.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/tools/shinto/

Curt

Curt

The Shinto rasp looks interesting, a bit like the shurform I used years ago when I used to build surf boards. Might be just the ticket for the skerry gains. Thanks.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.