MC16.5 glassing hull - fast or slow epoxy?

Hi all,

I am ready to glass the exterior hull. When I started my kayak it was winter here in NZ so I went for the fast 205 West hardener, it has worked well for me up to this stage however, the seasons have rolled over and temps are starting to climb into high 60's low 70's. Will I get into trouble with the fast hardener doing this bit or should I get the slow/normal hardener (206 I think)?

Thanks in advance

Steve

p.s. a couple of pics for no reason at all :-)

[IMG]http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/45_South/_MG_3051.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/45_South/DSCF3485.jpg[/IMG]

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: MC16.5 glassing hull - fast or slow epoxy?

Don't know why these pictures won't show??

Moderators - can we please have a 'preview post' function incorporated in to this new forum? 

Worked out what it was but cant edit my original post??! Is there a way to do that?

If you haven't glassed a hull before, go with the slow.  Remember too, if you glass in the morning before the day gets warm, the wood of your 16.5 could outgas as it warms up.  That will leave air bubbles trapped under the glass.  Try to glass when the temperature is holding steady or dropping.  And DON'T let the sun hit the hull until after the epoxy has gelled, otherwise lots of outgassing.

Hmmmm ok thanks for the tips. Very quick too! Well that solves that - I will order some slow hardener. I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't use fast hardener for a clear finish too - (I plan on a clear/varnish deck with a painted hull) so was going to get some slow anyway.

Thanks for the heads up on the sun too - I will have to cover the clearlight in my shed.

Cheers 

Hey Steve...I like your upholstery…you must have cats too!  If you’re using West System then go with 206 hardener on the hull (painted finish) but use 207 hardener on the deck (bright finish).  The 206 does cure clear but not as clear as 207.  The 207 is a bit pricey but worth it for a good-looking bright deck.  The project looks great so far…you’re almost there.Chris

Hi Chris,

Yeah good spotting - we've got a couple of cats, that's why that chair is out in the shed - it's now my thinking and drinking chair.

Thanks for the info on the 207. I did actually see that on the west site but have just mail ordered some 206 this morning (before reading your reply). We're a fair way from any major stores so everything like that is mail order. I think the 207 is 3:1 whereas the 206 is 5:1 so would I need to buy new/different mini pumps?

Your kayak was actually the inspiration for me to buy a kit and have it shipped (nearly) half way around the world by the way. I stumbled on your flickr site when researching which kit to buy -you build photo's sold it for me - very nice work.

This is my first build and am learning new and better ways at each step (particularly with epoxy). I think my favourite part so far was when I flipped the boat over and got to sand it smooth and put a nice radius on the chines (least favourite - epoxy/glass tape). If mine turns out half as good as yours I'll be happy.

Cheers

Steve

New Zealand 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.