passage maker

I have bought a built passage maker 11.7 and would like to shorten it to 10 foot. (cut 16 inches off bow) any suggestions as to how and the effect of this alteration. thanks B

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: passage maker

By all means: DON'T DO IT!

If you need a shorter pram, sell this one and buy an Eastport Pram or find some other pram to fit your needs but please don't mess up a great design. The relative proportions of length to width and lateral balance will get out of wack if you shorten the PMD. The PMD will still float but it won't work well and look horrible.

~~~_/)~~ Chris

I don't have a PM. My first reaction was to agree with Chris. However, if you are going to do it... cutting that much off the bow isn't going to affect how much of the boat is in the water. Is it rigged for sailing? If so, you might have to add a bowsprit for the jib. If it's only set up for rowing, it might just be an appearance thing. I would think it would hold its shape while the surgery was being done. Perhaps you could use a laser to draw a line for the scalpel to follow. Be sure to show us some before, during and after photos and your impression of how it turned out.

Keith

If you want it shorter for storage purposes, why don't you put in the extra bulkhead and cut it in half like the take apart version of the passagemaker?

Thanks, hope I do not offend anyone but....the squared off bow is not the best looking. I have started off on the project and it is needed so I can pull it up in the back of my 30 foot down east style boat. I plan to fish from it and I believe cutting off the bow is my best solution. To make it a two part would be as much work and the boat halves do not nest well from my study. will keep you informed of the result, Thanks Brian

file://localhost/Users/charlesgreen/Desktop/clc%20bow1.JPGfile://localhost/Users/charlesgreen/Desktop/clc%20bow.JPGbow

how are photos included? like to show you how it looks, Brian

passagemaker/short

well that did not seem to work....http://i41tinypic.com17pykz.jpg....whats the trick?

Looks like you missed some punctuation:

Here it is as a link

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.