Cloudy epoxy drips

I have drips on insides of my Northeartern Dory that came from the epoxy mixed with Cello fill (when the lapstrakes were filled in from the outside), also some areas around the puzzle joints have excess epoxy - also with cell fill in it. both of these areas are cloudy. I can sand them down after the first one or two coats of epoxy have been applied generally, but thus far i have yet to get the white or cloudy parts to disappear (even after I wipe clean with denatured alcohol). 

Does this just mean more sanding more carefully around just those drips or will that cloudy surface be permanent? I am concerned about sanding down to the bare wood and going through the plywood's first layer. I want the affected areas to be bright so these cooudy areas are a concern.

Havent found a post on this issue yet.

Thanks in advance for any tips, i dont want to go too far and cause more problems than it already is, but I also dont want to stop short of fixing it and living with these visible drips forever.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cloudy epoxy drips

the Cello fill turns the epoxy lighter.  You have to remove all of the epoxy with cellofil if you want to get rid of the cloudyness.  I strongly recomend using a scraper of even a chisle used like a scraper to pare away the lightened epoxy down to the bare wood again.  Then when you add new epoxy it will look right.

Thanks for your thoughts. Given what you have said I will pull out my scraping tools and get to know them better. I found the following post interesting and thought that it may help anyone else in my position. It had specific suggestions for dealing with epoxy drips that werent obvious at first but once you see them they make perfect sense.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/scrapers-versatile-tools-for-working-with-epoxy/

if you have long runs of thick drips and they are not on any glass you could use a heat gun to soften them a little which will let you scrape them off really easily.  You just dont want to heat any glass or it will weaken that area.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.