shearwater for 5m length storage

i have 3 options: the sport, 16 or 17 sectinable.

i'm a regular sea paddler 1m75, 90 to 95kg, i want manoeuvrable kayak for surf and rock coastal day trip, but fast enough to follow a group.

the 16 looks like a good compromise, do you confirm with your experience?

thx

emmanuel

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: shearwater for 5m length storage

5m is about 15 feet, so a Shearwater sport would just bairly fit at 14 feet 6 inches. There currently aren't any plans for a sectional 16-17 foot shearwater, so you would have to develope them. I have only paddled the Sport, very good boat for playing around in. Could stay with the group if you are a good paddler, but might get left behind if the distance is more than about 5-10 miles. The sport is a good boat. JRC

I chose the Sport Hybrid for the same reason. My cellar is a wafer under 5m long. It was  a little frustrating to keep ducking under the bow during the build, but well worth it. Unless you go diagonally, the SW 16 would leave you with 40mm each end, which is a bit tight, but doable.

I've paddled the Sport alongside a long sea kayak, and it isn't as fast as a good paddler in 6.5 m boat. On the other had, it is great fun, and arguably more manouverable. I've got a Flatearth sail, which adds to the entertainment and loads on the speed.

Thanks for the quick answers.

I thought the 16'  is 4m97 long.  Do you confirm?

Correct on the 4.9 meters for 16 feet. might be close for closing the garage door.

JRC

4,9m is OK, it is not in a garage but under a wooden terrasse in the garden which is elevated at 50+ cm just to store my kayaks :)

Hey there, I've finally ordered a special model:

Shearwater 17"  3 pieces takeapart and a skeg.

Footbraces coming with the kit look fragile, do you recommend something different?

I wouldn't break it while in 1+ meter wave session.

SSame question for the seat, is it well adapted for regular paddler?

First days of June, I'm going to build it in one week at arwen marine in the north of Paris, I will let you know the result.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.