Skerry w/Lug

Well, 2 outings with sail

Tiller extension came loose (the extension was tethered, so didn't lose it)

I'm going with Christine's nylon toilet seat bolt with a cushion and a nylon wire     tie as a keeper for the nut.

Sail lashings loosened - how do you knot the 1/8 in nylon sail lashings?

You can't row or paddle (solo) with rudder attached - duh!

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry w/Lug

As to keeping nuts tight, either use a cotter pin or shear pin to lok the nut in place or use a double nut. The cotter pin or shear pin needs no tools to remove but a double nut mignt need a socket or pliers to undo.

You should choose your cordage by function of the line and does that line need to be allowed to streach or not. For the standing rigging line stays, halyards and sail lashins, one does not want the cordage to stech so I would not use nylon cordage. Instead look at polyester lines. As for tying it down a small cleat or cam cleat shoul work. Nylon cordage is used for anchorage and docking where one would want the elsacticty to be active. You could even add an outhaul so you could adjust the tension of the foot of the sail while underway of luffing.

If you lash your tiller to align with the cener line, you sould be able to row a straight course.

Right, I'm going to drill the nylon bolt and use the nylon wire tie as a "pin" just to keep everything nylon.

The Lug Appendix they sent said to lash the sail with 1/8 nylon.  They don't offer nylon cord (nor 1/8 in, for that matter).  I'll get some polyester.

The foot and head of the lug are tensioned by the end lashings on the boom and spar, which effectively is the outhaul.

Also, I routed the rudder downhaul through a angled hole up throught the yoke to a jam cleat mounted on top of the yoke.

I thought of lashing the tiller; the yoke just wants to flop down with the angled hinge of the rudder.

Thanks,

Steve

Parachute cord works very well.  Very strong, UV resistant and available in all kinds of colors.

Have used it on a flag pole and it finally broken down after 6 years 24/7

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.