QUESTION FOR ROBERT MEYER

Robert, you had a method of turning your Peeler while under construction with ratchet straps,, at least I think they were. The other are cam straps. I ordered some ratchet straps and realize they will only pull a limited amount before the mandrel or axle fills up with the strapping and that is the limit (about 18"). Did your straps behave the same way?

The other issue is releasing the straps. They seem to be off and on and not gradual or increments. How did you lower the boat with out it crashing to the floor? Thanks , Ken.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: QUESTION FOR ROBERT MEYER

Ken, I did indeed use Ratchet straps to turn the Peeler. I had to cut off the excess web material in order to get them to roll up high enough to lift her off the building table, have room enough to flip her over carefully and set her back down down on sawhorses, I did disassemble the building table while she was hanging up - cleared away everything under her and turned her over, As I remember she needed some persuasion to roll and then rolled completely over very quickly. The ratchet straps are not the best solution - as they are very difficult to unwind once taut and they don't have capacity to roll up all their strapping. I had to use a large screwdriver to get mine to unwind at times. I have since purchased real come-along type ratchets with the long arm and large capacity which make this easier and safer. The best way to turn the Peeler is still a bunch of friends working for pizza.

My 2 cents worth:  I also used straps to flip the peeler.  Well- due to the weight of the peeler, the strap zipped through the plywood on the side of the boat all the way to the seat.  so now I have a hole in the side and it was self induced.  so, I ended up cutting out that section and building a puzzle joint to fix the hole. Of course, I can only tell it wasn't part of the design.

Bottom line: clamp on a makeshift railing (inside and outside) where the strap will be on the side.  The extra support will displace the weight across the area versus right there against plywood not protected with fiberglass.

good luck flipping - SUE

Oh my, I'm sorry to hear that - glad to see you recovered so well. I waited until my in-wales and rub rails were all installed before turning her over for the bottom work and then turning her back over again onto her bottom.  It's neat to see so many Peelers being built. I knew it would turn out being popular. If anyone has added a console to their Peeler let us see a photo. It will be interesting to see how folks personalize their Peelers. I'm still thinking about the best way to add floorboards to mine - I should have run pipes through the seats for the battery and fueltank lines - both located under the midship seat. Now I'm thinking of adding removable floorboards as the best way to cover these lines from being stepped on.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.