Skeg kit

Has anyone attached a premade skeg kit, not made of wood, to a kayak?

I am concerned about adhering plastic to wood which I'm assuming that a premade kit would be make from, such as the one sold by Superior Kayaks.

Thanks,

Mike

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skeg kit

Mike,

i have personal experience with the superior kayak kit and retrofitting it onto an arctic hawk.

the superior kayak skeg that i bought about 5 years ago was fibreglass (not plastic) and a first rate kit.  i had no problem getting it to adhere and have had it in place since then with no problem.   i think the key is that this is a very well done part built with the same epoxy/glass approach as the hull of the clc boat (except there is no wood in it).  Its installation follows the technique you would expect of doing fibreglass to fibreglass  attachment where you will have a mechanical (vs chemical) bond. the prep is roughing it up and cleaning it appropriately before epoxing it in place.  in addition, you build a small glass fillet that bonds it solidly with the hull.

it is a very well designed and strongly engineered.  it looked very professional and  i got a lot of positive comments on it.   i did not trust some of the 'plastic' kits that i also investigated.   that said, it was an expensive kit....but i think you get what you pay for.

mark rogers at superior, was also really solid on installation support.

i just checked in at superior kayak's site. it looks like they have not changed the construction (still fibreglass)  i am currently building a new strip-built night heron and looking to potentially add a skeg....if i do....it will be from superior. 

RE: Skeg kit

hspira,

Thanks for the info, that's what I needed. I tried contacting Superior, but I have not heard back yet. I also heard that CLC is planning a skeg kit similar to what is included in the S&G petrel kit, but it's only $10-15 less than a ready made kit. I think I'll go with the pre-made kit.

Mike

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.