"The elusive $2000 20 knot sailboat"

In life of boats John H. Foes a nice write up on the evolution of the CLC Sailrig and covered a lot of the things people would seek of the craft and generally - the content of the title of this post.  I recall quite clearly my interest - even zeal, for this 20 knot sailrig. It didnt help either that Chris K. the founder of CLC estimated 20 knots in a craft called the Trika ( not up be confused with the YouTube vids of a different craft altogether).  It had a windsurfers sail on a large double seating kayak and one of the most beautiful aka/ama  configs Ive ever seen - however impractical.   In reality Chris never hit 20 knots that day - or 18 for that matter. Still, the seed for that screaming speed was planted. If the Trika can hit 20 - so can my sailrig - or darn close - so I surmised.  This was circa 1997.  Now its a different take all together.

You can keep twenty knots.  The fact is - in ANY multihull sail craft that can reach it - the amount of water sprayed into the air from the hull impacting waves is nuts.  Even on a catamaran - at 20 knots the spray cloud can be so huge it towers over the sailors hiking out on the flying ama. Imagine if these same folks were sitting with there butts 4" below the waterline.     In the realm of the imagination where a strong wind is blowing across a millpond - this high speed can actually work.  In the real world wind/wave conditions its prescription for excessive bow froth and face stinging spray you wish you had a divers mask and snorkel for.  It'd be a thrill to do that speed - briefly.  I know a fella whose got 265 sq ft of sail on a Hobie tandem island (reinforced) and he's hit 18-20 knots. With enough sail area even the MKI sailrig can hit 20 with proper and extensive reinforcing. But for that matter so could a floating log if it was rigged enough.  The point is though - whats the point?

Speeds in my sailrig have shown me the light and my 20 knot fantasies are a thing of the past.  I much prefer to sail OVER waves than drill a hole through them. I find anything over 3.5 knots and I call it underway - not fast but respectable.  At 5 knots the fun starts - most people would find this speed gives a fine sense if travel and sense of accomplishment for the effort.  Great distances at this speed is sublime. Over 6 knots and it starts to get wet and sloppy but not at all out of hand .  Beyond 8 knots and its thrilling but not exactly relaxing.  Not in a bad way at all but there's a lot happening now pretty quick. Its wet to be sure but not abusive . Beyond this point?   I don't know - haven't done it - yet. But all the same Im no longer hellbent on it either.  I've come to see the comfort of swift smooth travel over fast frothy and wet.  I'm not so sure Id want to tack on too many miles with face stinging spray and so much submarining.

frankly I don't think Id opt for 20 knots at half the price!

just my 2 cents

Pete

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: "The elusive $2000 20 knot sailboat"

Please delete this duplicate - thanks.

pete

Hmmm - I don't know about this!   I'd certainly like to aim for something a bit quicker than 8kn.  Having in the past built and sailed lightweight off-the-beach racing catamarans with 100 sq ft of sail, it's a thrilling ride - and who cares if you get wet!   I used to wear (when conditons justified it) ski-goggles as my only concession to spray in the eyes!

I imagine in these days of GPS it would be pretty easy to measure the true speed very accurately - what's the best so-far on one of these CLC tris?

L of S 

John mentions reports upwards of 10knots.  A catamaran though is a much different ride with regard to being drenched.  My point being I wouldn't want to do a five hour crossing at these high speeds.  I used to before I had  a good idea of what it was like.  A cat anyway is a much dryer ride - no doubt about that.  It has to be as you re far higher above the water - not 4" below the waterline.

This spring Ill have 70 sq ft on it'll be fun but the reason for getting the extra sail area is to increase low wind efficiency.  The other issue again is that kayak derived Sailrigs tend to drill through a wave rather than go over it due to the fine bow.  The prismatic coefficient also makes the proposition of catamaran speeds a real inefficient slog due to the long hull - stern squat.  There are simply issues a catamaran bypasses that a sail rigged kayak doesn't - for all that I prefer the sailrig. Its a different kind of ride.  

Pete

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.