Northeaster Dory Build Questions

Hello All,

New here and exploring a build of the NE Dory.  I purchased the building manual for the NE Dory from the nice folks at CLC, to see if it looked like something I could tackle.  The only thing that concerned me was the number of tasks which required two sets of hands.  I know my wife would probably lend some assistance stiching the hull together, but would likely not take to messing with epoxy.  Plus she's a busy lady with other pursuits and obligations.  So can a builder do most of the gluing, clean-up and filleting single handed?  From reading the manuel it makes it appear that it's a race against time to apply and clean up the epoxy in order to avoid even more sanding.  If a builder applies a lesser (shorter) bead of epoxy and cleans up the mess asap, would that be doable.  I reckon it'd take londer that way, but I can't see how I could do it otherwise.  Also can one reasonably expect to get the build done with the amount of epoxy provided with the kit?  Any input is appreciated.  I have no previous experience working with epoxy in anything simular to boat building.

THX,

Ned

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Dory Build Questions

I did 99% of the build of by NE Dory solo and I built it from plans. I needed help flipping the boat and since one of my daughters was around at the time, she helped with the outwales. With enough clamps, there were few times I felt short handed. I also found that if I tipped the hull to about 45degrees, much of the epoxy work was easier. I am now adding the sailing components and will get assistance for drilling and epoxying the daggerboard trunk and mast step to be sure of positioning. Barry

RE: Northeaster Dory Build Questions

Like the other commenter, I did 99% of the dory build (from a kit) by myself, and really only needed help turning it over.  The time needed for epoxy work depends on, among other things, temperature.  Much of my epoxy work was done in cooler termperature (I was building outside), giving me a bit more time.  Whatever you are doing, you just don't want to have to rush it.  Do it.  Have fun.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.