Just curious about pre-boom Skerry

Back sometime in 2012 I submitted a post about some "refinements" I was making to the Skerry rig, and in one of the replies Laszlo pointed out that his early Skerry did not have a boom.  I am curious about where the sheet was attached.  I went to the earlier post and tried to look at Laszlo's pictures, but they no longer show up.

I'd like to know how that worked.  My guess is that the shackle must have attached back at the stern and you pulled forward on the sheet.  If Laszlo does not happen to see this, can someone else enlighten me on how this worked?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Just curious about pre-boom Skerry

Responding to your post partly to bring the issue up again....I do not know the answer but I too would like to know if it is possible to eliminate the boom on the skerry sail rig (sprit)....Tomc.....

Hi guys, been away from my computer for a bit at MASCF. I don't have access to that Skerry pic at the moment, but I'll look for it when I get a chance.

In the meantime, having now owned a boat with a boomless sprit for the last several years, I can say that it may be tough to get that rig working to its best advantage on a Skerry because it's a double-ended boat. That may keep you from being able to set the the sheeting angle correctly. You need 10 degrees to either side of the boat's centerline, which may be impossible with the Skerry's narrow stern.

If it turns out to be possible, I'd recommend the 2-sheet bridle method. That's where there's 2 sheets are attached to the clew and each is led to the opposite side of the boat. While sailing you always use the lee side sheet. John harris suggested that to me years ago and it's worked out very well.

The other thing you can do if you go boomless is to lower the sail since you no longer have to dodge the headwhacker. That'll let you have a shorter mast and stay out in higher winds.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Skerry #1 was rigged as a boomless sprit for awhile.  The advantages are that, well, there's no boom to knock you in the head.  Also, you can "brail up" the sail in a jiffy under way, and it's simpler and quicker to set up.  

At first ours had a very short mast, as you can see in the photos below.  It was the Eastport Pram MK1's mast, in fact.  This was intended as an economy, to use off-the-shelf parts.  In fact, it put the sail down in the turbulent boundary layer---the good wind starts four or five feet up.  So in light to moderate conditions the effective sail area was essentially a sail with the lower third cut off.  This wasn't very fast.  

Other builders have used boomless sprit sails on the Skerry but with the standard, taller mast.  They go very well and all of the advantages listed above are enjoyed.  You pay a price in performance off the wind:  the sheeting geometry means the sail twists off, spilling a lot of power.  It's not a terrible trade-off.

When we rigged ours with the boom and a taller mast---the arrangement that all production models got---it was as if the boat was turbo-charged.  Big improvement in speed on all points, especially in light air.

CLC Skerry kit with boomless sprit sail

CLC Skerry kit with boomless sprit sail

Just a note related to the Skerry rigs,

I just finished all the parts for a lug rig for my skerry and used it last weekend. I was very happy with it. Having used the sprit for some time, the lug seems much a much better fit.

Raising and lowering the sail was much easier. Also, it seems like there is less weight up high seems lower or at least heeling seems reduced. The air was light so I will know more after taking it out in more wind. I had made a new round mast and its a bit thicker than is probably needed so I didnt want to go real high with the mast, I think mine is 4 inches shorter than the plans call for.

Another great help was I could stow the sail out the front of the bow to row and others can still ride up front.

finally, no more worry about the gooseneck breaking the boom if the wind catches the sail untended. Also I can adjust the height of the sail if I like.

Very happy so far,

pat

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.